cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kristim

Not for everyone

As with most drugs, Chantix is not right for everyone. There are side effects that can be very serious but...
you can't use that as an excuse not to quit!

If you have decided against trying Chantix, ask yourself this: Are you afraid to take it because you're afraid of the side effects or are you really afraid to quit smoking?

If you're afraid of the side effects, fine. Find another way to quit. If you're honest with yourself and you realize that you're using the side effects as an excuse to continue smoking, that's fine too, just know what you're doing. We all find excuses to continue to smoke. I was there. My husband is there now.

I can tell you that Chantix worked for me. The side effects were easier to deal with than the nicotine cravings for me. I'm SO GLAD that I stopped smoking. It's hard to believe that I'm a non-smoker sometimes but I am and I will stay that way.

Whatever way works for you is the best way to quit!

It's been almost 4 months without a puff!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
cindy16

Hi, Yes I'm afraid of the side effects. But I did take before but I ended up screwing up. Only sideeffect I had was an upset stomach. So I think it works ok for my no serious side effects. The news report of seizures this week made me scared. I plan on taking chantix starting tomorrow. Did you have any cravings?Did you gain weight?
Cindy
0 Kudos
kristim

I had cravings but nothing as bad as cold turkey. It was something I could handle. I important thing to remember is that the cravings do end. They only last for a few minutes. You can stand anything for a few minutes. I am already WAY overweight so that really wasn't a factor. I can tell you that I did want to eat more and I let myself eat what ever I wanted until I felt like I could handle the cig cravings without food. I have since started a diet and have lost about 10 pounds in the past month. I figure that if I can quit smoking, I can do anything!!
0 Kudos
cindy16

Good for you on quitting smoking and losing 10 lbs
I think if I quit in the summer and keep active will help from putting on the lbs. Plus I like more healthy food in the summer becuase it's hot (except I do love my icecream) I'm small so any weight is going to show.
Will keep you updated on my quit.
Cindy
0 Kudos
kristim

Please do! Now that I'm a non-smoker, I want everybody to be a non-smoker! It's wonderful to be free of that ball and chain!!
bill-v_

First....Foremost....and.....Finally...quit smoking because it's what you WANT to do. The only way you'll quit is to understand there are no excuses or reasons or pressures to return to a physically devastating habit. Worry about what smoking has done or will do to you if you don't stop rather than weight gain or potential side effects. By the way, I'm just like KristiM...been 4 months for me as well (and I smoked for 35 years. Chantix worked for me as well with no side effects (other than sleeplessness and vivid dreams).
Good Luck!
Bill V.
kristim

I didn't have any problems stopping Chantix. Maybe it's because I didn't take the full three months or I just might be one of the lucky ones. Either way, I am SOOOOO glad!!

Part of me believes that you do have to WANT to quit but another part of me thinks that you really NEVER want to quit. I'm not sure why this has worked so far. Luck is the only thing that seems to explain things. I quit because my husband's doctor told him that he had to quit. I didn't want to continue to smoke if he wasn't going to. In the past, my husband has blamed me for us not being able to quit and I didn't want him to say that this time. If we were going to fail this time, it wasn't going to be because of me! I think that was my major motivating factor. I hope he can quit soon!
0 Kudos
liz19

You have to WANT to quit. I am using Chantix, and today is 3 weeks for me. I feel great. I haven't had any serious side effects, vivid dreams (which I sorta like) and a slight upset stomach. I actually read a study that said after you stop taking Chantix, you can go through a "second" withdrawl type feeling, due to the Chantix releaseing the dopamine in your brain (instead of cigs) - has anyone had a problem with that? Was there more urges than any other normal day after you stopped the pills? Just curious!
0 Kudos

Liz,
I havent stopped my chantix yet, but i am doing a gradual reduction to get off. I decided i definitely did not want to have any problems when i am finished taking chantix. A lot of the reports are very scary concerning when you stop it....and even a gradual reduction...i still feel like something is not quite right in my brain....Crystal
0 Kudos
cindy16

What kind of problems when you quit?
Cindy
0 Kudos