cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kim27

Question about living with another smoker

I have been smoke free now for 8 days using Chantix and am wondering if anyone else's spouse or significant other still smokes. My husband is very encouraging but he does not want to quit. He smokes outside and it really is not bothering me but I wonder about it how it will be after I stop taking the Chantix.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
r0c

The first time I quit I was married to a smoker, after 2 weeks on my quit he decided to join me and we were non smokers for 5 years. When we divorced I started again so here I go again, but hopefully your husband will see how well you are doing and decide to join you as mine did.
0 Kudos
karen31

Hi Kim,
I am on day 11 using Chantix and I too have a husband who is still smoking. Mine also is very encouraging and I think that is the key. As long as he is supportive and considerate I feel even after we go off Chantix we will be able to stick with it. I hope that he will want to quit eventually also but that is his decision just as it was ours to quit now. I am also planning on staying on Chantix for at least another month because I didn't quit until I was on it for 5 weeks, and my dr. said I can stay on it even for as long as 6 months. I know it is expensive but it is better than going back to smoking.
0 Kudos
chrissy6

My husband smokes too.I have only been on it for 5 day's now,Thursday i plan to quit for good.I'm down to 6 cigs. a day.Has anyone noticed any mood changes?????I'm kinda grumpy.
0 Kudos
barbara42

HEY ALL,
I too have a husband that smokes. He is very good about staying out side, but I know they are there. It is something that I have to fight, and yes, it does make me stronger. I have been quit for 57 days today, iI took CHANTIX for the first month, after that I have went on my on. IT can be done, you are off to a good start PEACE!
0 Kudos
kim27

Chrissy

I haven't really noticed any mood changes but my family would probably tell you different. 🙂 Good luck you can do this
0 Kudos
kim27

Thanks Barbara. That lets me know it can be done.
0 Kudos
chris-vincent

My husband still smokes and alot. He dose smoke outside but I can still smell it and I still see the cigs. Today is day 13 with no smoking. Out of the blue my husband went to the Doc and got a scrip for chantix, he said if I could do it he could to. Hopefully your husband will do the same. Keep it up! You can do it!!!