cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dan-dunn

sept 16 made 4 months

I cannot believe 4 months an counting, but is true. Thought I could not be gay without a smoke in my hand, LOL. Feel so much better,and figure it will only get better. Hope all are doing well with their not smoking too.

have a great smoke free week,

Dan
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dan-dunn

Thank you Robert, and hope it continues to go well for you. have a super great smoke free day. Dan
0 Kudos
slyve

I like this post because it is true. Many of us feel that smoking is part of our gay identity. That comes into play with me personally....and I have been working through the EX program and trying to separate the cigarettes from me. I am finding that I am (in theory/mentally) perfectly fine without the smokes....and that thinking will lead to my action. I think some of the reasons why we mate cigarettes with our gay identity is because we (LGBT community) have the highest rate of smoking in our community more than any other statistically documented minority group. We smoke all the time....in bars...at parades....at work....in the car.....on the phone....etc. I didn't know this until I was web searching but one of the tobacco companies targeted San Francisco's gay population (several years ago) along with the homeless and named their target plan "Project SCUM". The tobacco companies helped fund special gay events and in turn the gay community supported the tobacco companies by posting up their promotional ads, etc. Like the website said, they may financially support our cause, but they certainly do not respect us if they're calling it Project Scum!
0 Kudos
dan-dunn

Like what you wrote there Gordon. In everything I did, a cigarette had to be a part of it. If a place did not allow smoking I would choose to not go there. I had read about those targets, and knew it was not a good thing, and feel it does show what companies really think of us as a community. The one thing that has helped me the most is knowing I don't want to smoke more than I want to smoke. The ads showing how people struggle to get ready for work, drink coffee, and do the things that were done while smoking hit home with me. Made me realize I could not even go an hour after a workout without a smoke. Each time thinking I am not going to smoke after a workout, but that mental urge would take over an off to the smoking races again. Hope the not smoking continues for us all.

Have a great smoke free day,

Dan
0 Kudos
david-hibling

Keep going hunky man well done - I know exactly where your at but remember the marlboro man promoted as hunky and sexy died of cancer - I had the usual Gay fear of getting fat if I stopped smoking and being unattractive but as Robert has said an oxygen tank is hardly the sexiest of things to wear in a gay bar - and funnily enough I am feeling fitter not smoking so am doing more weights at the gym and apart from needing breakfast am not really eating more - and Dan you are so hunky you do not need a cig to make you look sexy!
0 Kudos