cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

megan2

Nicotine Gum users

This nicotine gum is helping, but I feel like ive been chewing it forever! I am finally cigarette smoke free for now 3 days, going on 4.
I have been using the NRT's for now almost 2 years, smoking intermittently, when is this addictioin going to give.!?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
william3

Megan,
I noticed in the "EX" material, Dr Hurt says to use the gum, rather than chew it, you should chew once or twice and then tuck it into your cheek, you will feel a tingling feeling, when that feeling is gone, chew a couple more times and tuckit away in your cheek again, do this repeatedly until there is no more tingling.
I am just parroting what Dr Hurt wrote, I have yet to try, but maybe this will help you.

Good luck, William
kevin12

Megan,

I've been chewing the gum for a couple of years during the day at work where I couldn't smoke. So, now that I am on Day 1, the gum is working well. It's way too early for me to think about not having the gum. I'm just trying to get through a Friday night without smoking. I hear 21 days is the magic number for the nicotine addiction to pass. Not sure where I heard that.

Kevin
0 Kudos
candylance

I don't think the addiction ever passes. Gum has worked for me but two years later, I had the biggest crave ever and had JUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST ONE> Wound up a full fledged smoker once again and now I'm on oxygen. It's not too late to start over and Nicorette is for me---  the coated kind. I lke the crunch. Silly, but true.

0 Kudos
lqsi12

Soooo in 1980 something I gave up cigs thanks to an at work cessation class, lots of support there. Nixorettte gum at that time was a prescription and thats what I used. It worked along with visual and physical aids.  Not sure how many are still non smokers from that class now ( 2019 )  I know I have stayed cig smoke free since, and cannot stand the smell.  Buttttttt, I started smoking swisher sweet cigarillos in 1989 just on ( ha so I thought ) at lunch break, have continued on and off since then, now In day 43 of a nother episode of " Cold Turkey "  we'll label this one a birthday gift to my bod ! 

sweetplt

Great job...keep the quit going...~ Colleen