cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

erick2

Anyone stop Chantix early?

Due to some of the side effects I have cut my dose in 1/2 per day. I take a total of 1mg/day versus 2mg/day. If the side effects get better Ill keep everything as so. If they do not get better I'm thinking about not refilling my next pack and just finish my 4 weeks. Has anyone here stopped taking it early and if so are you finding it just as easy to stay away from cigarettes?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
bill-v_

I didn't stop early, I just started weaning off a little early. I think it all depends on you. Are you having a pretty easy time not smoking? If so, it might be that you wouldn't see any difference. But I know that many have had issues quitting Chantix early when they were not so solid in not smoking. I don't ever suggest going off early....and hope you are able to do the whole program. I'm working on 6 months now, and really thank Chantix for the help it gave me in the beginning.
Good Luck!
Bill V.
0 Kudos
miriam3

I didnt stop early, the side effects didnt get better but I didnt expect them too either. I just put up with the horrible side effects and sacrificed 12 weeks because I knew I was saving my life by doing so. I always thought there was a valid reason for completing the process the way it was recomended. It was worth it. ditto to Bill V's reply. It depends how "solid" you are in quitting. Good luck.
0 Kudos
erick2

So far so good. I think cutting my dose in 1/2 is the trick. Today I feel great again like I did the first week. Oh, I'm a non-smoker! lol Nothing is taking me back...NOTHING! 🙂
0 Kudos
donna22

Hey I'm glad you are feeling better, hopefully cutting in half will do it..I'm still taking the 1 in the morning and am just fine...mayby you just had a bug too or something we just tend to blame everything on Chantix or not smoking...
0 Kudos

Well make sure you eat something before you take the chantix, and stay away from anything bubbly or caffinated (sodas) until after about an hour. That helped me witht the side effects. Although, I havn't completly stopped taking Chantix, I am taking 1 tab in the morning, and none at night. The insomnia was killing me. As far as upset stomach goes, I take mine about 10 minutes after eating a bagle and do fine. Good luck.
0 Kudos
erick2

lol my arm itches...CHANTIX, my shoe came untied.....CHANTIX,
im outta milk.....CHANTIX, Wheres the remote....CHANTIX...lol
0 Kudos
amy42

I took Chantix for 3 months and was smoke free for 3 months. Then I had to go and mess up and think just a drag off of a smoke would be ok and then one thing led to another and here I am full fledged smoker again. I did'nt have any side effects luckily. So now I have to get back onto Chantix and quit again. Man what a bummer. I think I will be smart this time and stay on it for the amount of time I'm supposed to.
0 Kudos
zana

Hi Amy,

I quit 06/2007 and started smoking again by taking a puff here and a puff there. Don't let the one puff fool you. That one puff makes you start obsessing for more. This time I will take the Chantix for the full three months and will fight tooth and nail not to give into the one puff.
0 Kudos
babs77

Erick, I was beginning to have problems sleeping so I cut my dose in half yesterday and so far so good for me too. We'll see in a day or two once my body adjusts to the lower dosage if it's right for me. I think I would rather deal with the side-effects on full dosage if this doesn't work since the alternative is just NOT an option for me any longer!
0 Kudos