cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

danielle2

Sleeping problems with chantax?

Hello everyone! This is my 8th day of taking chantax it is working really well I have only been smoke free for one day but i barley even think about smoking and have little to no cravings. However the past 2 days I have been having some sleep issues. Been really tired but just can't seem to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long does this last? Thanks
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
lesley

I take a natural sleeping pill called "Sleep MD" and I love it. take it 30 min before you go to bed and in no
time you will fall asleep. The dreams are not so crazy either.
0 Kudos
nancy

Oh yeah and if you read more about what others have or are experiencing there is probably more to come. Chantix does work real well. I do however still crave cigs but it's weird I don't go out to buy them? Just know that even on Chantix it's not going to be a piece of cake. There are probably things about this med that will be hard to deal with , like the problems with sleeping. Ask your doctor if there is anything that can help you with this? I am having the same problem and I too need to talk to the doctor about it. I just don't want to be off of Chantix. I hope after I am off of Chantix I can still be an ex.

Good luck with your journey of health !
0 Kudos
nancy

I asked about cutting the pills in half . Your are NOT to cut pills unless they are scored. It specifically states do not crush or cut this medication. Please ask the pharmisist
0 Kudos
leslie15

I take chantix too and its working great. I've heard about folks having sleep problems and been told to take your second dose by mid or late afternoon - not at bedtime - to reduce insomnia. Some people take Tylenol PM or Advil PM to help them sleep the first weeks. These are not addictive.
I found that I have good results with only taking one dose/day of the chantix. I apparently don't need the second dose. So reducing your dose might help. but don't risk your quit. If the chantix is working for you then find a way to minimize the side effects and stay on it. I didn't go from 2 doses/day to 1 dose/day until the start of my third week.
Also it is not unusual to have sleep problems in the first weeks of quiting. So hang in there! You will start sleeping better as weeks go by. I am 47 days smoke free and sleeping real well now.
I've also heard that we should wean ourselves off the chantix slowly in our last few weeks of taking it. So reduce your dose, cut pills in half, in the last few weeks. This is to avoid having urges return or feeling "blue" when we go off it. Also been told (its right in the fine print of the package insert) that some folks stay on chantix for 6 months instead of 3 months if they feel like they need it. Quit rates are higher among those who stay on it 6 months. So talk to your doctor if you feel you need an extension after your 3 months are up. All the best to you! Leslie
0 Kudos
pat3

I am on my second week of Chantix. I wake up every hour and then am falling asleep all day. My mouth is sore- I read that Chantix can cause gingivitis. I am really thinking about going off the medicine. I hate the side effects. I am also depressed and angry and impatient.
0 Kudos
patty3

Danielle,

I had the exact problem. Last week I started taking Chantix only in the morning. This is my third week of not smoking. I do have a little more craving in the afternoon but nothing I can't handle. I have to have my sleep. Plus now my prescription lasts longer.
0 Kudos
beth22

Oops! missed that little bit of information! I did cut quite a few in half and have taken them with no problem. Guess I best not push my luck by doing it any more, huh?
0 Kudos
beth22

That's pretty well what I've come to believe Leslie. I seem to get by great with just one dose a day. I'm a late riser and we don't eat our last meal until around 9 pm and that last pill was doing a real job on my sleep.
0 Kudos