cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

deb7

UNGLUING YOURSELF FROM CIGARETTES IN YOUR LIFE...

I am on my 4th week of Chantix. I didn't set a quit date, but rather a goal date. I want to be smoke free by the time winter arrives. By then it will be way to cold to stand out in the street like a hooker just to have a cigarette. I am finding the hardest part of all of this is ungluing myself from cigarettes in my life. They have become part of my routine thoughout the day. I have been smoking for at least 35 years. What did you do to unglue yourself from cigarettes and your everyday life? Help!!!!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
miriam3

this is what I did: I followed the Chantix program and made sure I took suggested dosage. Set a quit date. It is more realistic than a "goal" date. I have been smoke free for 7 months. I smoked for 30 years. I thank Chantix; it works.
0 Kudos
miriam3

p.s. you should quit after your first week on Chantix. The more you put it off, the harder it will be. been there.
0 Kudos
cindy16

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on 11th day of chantix. I have only been aking hhalf the dose in the morning beicasue os upset stomach. I agree smoking out side in the winter stinks. I have actually been looking forward to cold weather this year. Michigan has had some unusual warm weather. Let the cold begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not had a cigarette when i first wake up I 've been waiting a half hur. So I think I will keep strethcing. Hoipefully that will help with my favoritemorning cigarette. The car is going to be a hard one.I have to figure out a stratedgy for that. I have uct down dramatically. I set mondya as my date but I'm like you. I'm setting a goal of the winter too. I figure I will wenan myself off. Cut down, cut down and hiopefully just not want them anymore. The ydo not taste as good as they used too now. I'm smoking more out of habit. Dr Oz said to change habit. Have a cigarette an hour .Plan the time. say ok 1:05 I'm having a cigarette and one an hour at that time. Strtch to two hours in a couple days so on and so fourth.. He said that will help with usual habits.
Cindy
0 Kudos
angeliah75

Chantix is my miracle drug. I have tried EVERYTHING....and my doc told me i had chronic bronchitis and if i didnt quit id have lung cancer after menopause. I have 2 small kids (9 and 6) and im a single mom..... the thought of them going to thier dads to live if i died was devestating, let alone knowing that I DID IT to MYSELF.........................................so i considered chantix my "last chance". Its worked....so far. 28 days now.

I smoked since i was 14, im 33 now. I quit on day 8 of chantix. The first 2 days were hard. Now, its like i totally forget about cigarettes. Sometimes i crave.... but not bad. GAWD i hope the cravings dont come back when im done taking it 😞

Good luck to you, stay strong.... you can reverse 35 years of damage.... make a NEW routine. Look up lung cancer on Youtube (that helped me alot)..... try to scare yourself out of it. If you have kids or grandkids think of them. Do ANYTHING but smoke.

hugs,
Emily
0 Kudos
angeliah75

Oh and if you get upset belly taking it.... then eat something and take the chantix halfway thru your meal. I have to actually be eating when i take it. I cant take it before or after, i have to take it DURING. That will help too.
0 Kudos
susan39

I am on day 5 with no cigarettes. Yesterday was the hardest for me. To unglue yourself, just don't buy anymore. Get all the information you can. Write down why you want to quit. The hardest part for me so far is the subconcious mind telling me to smoke. I have a different dream about smoking every night. I have to keep telling myself I am not going to smoke. It has been hard. You can do it, you are worth it!
0 Kudos
cindy16

Today is day 4 no cigs. Doing great
Cindy
0 Kudos
cindy16

It has been 3 days. I'm doing great. I hope everyone is doing good.
Cindy
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi Everyone, How is everyone doing? Today is day 5. So far so good. I had a dream last night I smoked and ruined my quit. I'm glad it was just a dream. Everyone have a good day.
Cindy
0 Kudos