cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

deb7

4TH DAY OF CHANTIX

Hi Chantix Users,

Today I will start the 4th day of my Chantix with 2 pills a day. Did you noticed any chances when you started taking 2 pills a day? Did you ever wonder or worry about getting used to Chantix and still keep smoking? I hope I don't do that! Sigh! I read where some users just got use to taking Chantix and kept on smoking. I really do want to quit and I am slowly smoking less. I am just taking my time to get there.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
12 Replies
nancy41

Hi Deb, I am on my third week of taking Chantix and my 11th day smokefree. I didn't notice any real difference taking the 2 pills a day except for the fact that the cigarettes didn't taste good any more and I was smoking less. Now when I get the urge to smoke a cigarette I ask myself why I would want to go back to that? It wouldn't taste good anyway! Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
deb7

I am wondering why you go to 2 pills on the 4th day and why the color changes to blue into the 2nd week? What I have been experiencing is that my cigarettes are starting to taste awful. I just have this yucky taste in my mouth. It doesn't change when I brush my teeth. Does that yucky taste in your mouth go away when you do finally quit smoking? Or I am wondering if you will always have it while taking Chantix? The other thing I noticed is that I don't get that instant high kind of feeling when you have a cigarette. Did you set a quit date? It seems strange to keep going for my cigarettes even while experiencing this? How did the rest of you chantix users feel?
0 Kudos
nancy41

The blue pills are a stronger dose(1mg) compared to the white pills which are only .5 mg. You start with one of the white pills a day and then increase to 2 white pills a day on day four to let the Chantix build up in your system slowly. Then the blue pills which are stronger help you through your actual 'quit time'. I have found them extremely helpful!I did have a yucky taste in my mouth the first week and now it's either gone away or I have gotten used to it! (Pity the poor person I am talking to!) You are right - the first week of taking the pills the cigarettes started tasting bad and you don't get the rush from them - that's the Chantix working!!!!! And yes I still went out for my smoke mainly because I stiil could and because of the 'habit'. I remember sitting on the deck smoking and thinking to myself, 'why am I doing this? They don't taste good and they don't make me feel good.' I did set my quit date - and stuck to it. I planned starting the Chantix when I had a few days off to see how I would react to the pills ( I was a little leery of taking them after all I had read). And my first day of not smoking fell on a Monday which was good because I was at work and never smoked that much ther.
donna22

Hi Deb, I worried that I wasn't going to be a success with Chantix because I had taken it once before and never did quit....this time I just plain wanted to quit....I took Chanitix for 7 days and quit on the 8th...I read that it does take longer sometimes to get in the system, anyway that was on June 2 and I'm still smokefree...I also had the vivid dreams but I like them, I'll dream then wake up and when I go to sleep again it continues...mine have not been horrible just funny ones...I quit taking the evening pill after about a month and a half and I have been fine ever since with one, my Dr. told me to keep taking them until they are gone so I just started the last month which will last me 2, Chantix is good but it doesn't do everything you still have to be strong and use every ounce of will power you have sometimes...good luck Deb, I hope you have as much success as I have had...
0 Kudos
nancy41

Hey Marisa! I still have to make sure I eat before taking the pills. The other day I wanted to take it early and not wait for dinner so I ate a small container of yogurt and took my evening pill. I got sort of sick feeling. But as far as the dreams go I haven't had any vivid dreams or anything out of the ordinary. I did dream last night that I smoked a cigarette and I felt so bad!!!!!
0 Kudos
preciosa

I use Chantix to help me quit and it took me about three weeks to a month before I finally stop. I think it just depends on how devoted you are to really trying to quit. For me I got tried of the cigarettes tasting really nasty. I was to scared that I was getting use to Chantix because it took me longer to quit. I do realize you raelly have to want it and Chantix is just there to help.
0 Kudos
cindi

I guess i am very lucky because I can take the blue pills on an empty stomach and feel just fine.
My only side effect really has been strange...longgggg dreams and/or can't sleep. Not everynight but most.
Day 15 today ! Wahoo ! Smoke free. I have been in all my major trigger situations now and made it thru ok. 🙂
Good luck, stay strong, you can do it.
0 Kudos
karen19

I am a little late with this reply but I agree with Donna above. I loved my vivid dreams. I still look forward to them. It is the second best part of quitting smoking. I don't take both blue pills either. I stopped after the first month. I quit only one day after taking the Chantix. I really really wanted to quit. The meds did not really start to help me until after the first week. My 4th day of my quit was the absolute worse day of my life. I was not a good person and I could not even leave my house. I went through withdrawls but handled it by doing things ( riping out my carpet) around the house. I am now on day #50 and doing very well. the chantix is not the only thing you need to quit with. You really have to want to quit. If you want it you will do it. I hope you have set a date and I hope you continue on this site to read more of the other stories. Not everyone has quit yet. I don't get on here as much anymore either. I find I actually have a life without smoking. I love this site. The Chantix site is okay but it is basic information. the people on here are REAL.
0 Kudos
lori32

10 weeks of chantix..but now i smoke less than 7 cigs a day instead of 1 to 2 packs a day..go figure..lori
0 Kudos