cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

liz19

I'd like to know everyone's average....

Hi all -

I'm curious to know about those who have sucessfully quit using Chantix - and stopped taking it before the 3 months is up. I'm on Chantix now, I've been taking it since May 1st and have been smoke free since May 5th. Up until this week I have felt pretty good. However, this week, I am noticing a change. I'm down in the dumps, and depressed alot - something I rarely have issues with. My stomach is bloated and puffy and that makes my depression worse because I can't fit into many of my clothes. So, I'm considering cutting back my dosage or stopping altogether. BUT...I don't want to run the risk of starting smoking again. Chantix helps with the urges - which are getting less and less. I NEVER want to smoke again. This is something that helped me thru the first 2 weeks. But I'm afraid to get off the meds. Soooo, any opinions would be appreciated!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
adonis

I am still using chantix --- and have since march 08 --- Like you, it helps me cut down on the urge... Try to find some activity to keep you busy... Hold off on giving up on chantix unless you are sure you can deal with the urges... as for gaining some weight, that is an unfortunate consequence we smokers have to deal with.... but what is a little weight for alot of years of breathing healthy!!!! I was told once you quit for 3 months plus.... you will be able to control your weight better... Also drink alot of water... it helps flush out your body (healthy) and keeps you full.... I plan to stop using chantix by the end of May.... I am hyper so i need all the help I can get.... Also for those thoughts read Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" it helps me cope with the stresses of life-- 3rd time reading it...

GOOD LUCK and DONT GIVE UP!!!!
0 Kudos
liz19

Thanks so much. It's not the weight gain that I'm concerned about - I know that's going to happen, and I walk and do things like trying to eat healthy to help with that. This is different. It's puffy and swollen. Just in my tummy. Not anywhere else. So strange. I am drinking water like a mad woman - and maybe that's some of the puffyness on my middle. I will stick with it, just sorta wanted an opinion. I'm not considering smoking again by any means. I just know this is a harsh drug - and even though I smoked, I don't like to take pills or drugs. Strange thinking I know. But NOW I don't smoke. And I never want to again. LOL. Guess I sorta want my cake and eat it too!
0 Kudos
sandi6

Liz - I too have the "middle" problem - and I had an issue with having trouble taking a big breath - well - Dr says it is from the weight - some bloating is usual - and GAS ! I just went and bought a few larger clothing items to get me through the next couple months - inexpensive ones. but at least I don't get so frustrated when I get dressed in the morning. Hang in there with me.....We will get through this....Bloating and all....
Sandi
0 Kudos
norma

Norma-- I tried to get a prescription filled for Chantix - but medco messed up the order and I never got my medicine. Now after reading all this info on chantix side effects maybe its better to just quit cold turkey. Granted for several months before hand I would pray and cut down my number of cigirettes a day. From an average a day of 15 to fluctuating between 1 to eight cigarettes a day,then finally quitting a month ago. I keep on praying that I won't ever pick it up again. Believe me I still have an urge to pick up one last one but I know better ... the benefits is that I can take a wonderful deep breath. Its great that I can breathe without it hurting my lungs.
0 Kudos
liz19

Wow!! Norma!! Your already through the hardest part! Keep it up!!!! Great job!!
0 Kudos
adonis

Remember your body is going to go through changes just for the simple fact that it does not have to compete with smoke.... Read this article.. . http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1349925 ... So now that your are not smoking your body is having to deal with the comsumption of nutrients in a different way... Normal.... If you are retaining water .... like alot of woman during their menstrual cycle... you can cut down on your salt intake and drink alot of tea (hope you like it). Stay away from SODA... or any carbonated drinks. At this point I would not suggest another pill for excess water retention.... I was told it will take your body 6 months to a year to readjust itself.... NO MORE SMOKE.... They say no pain no gain.... Sometimes we have to trade off of the lesser of two evils.... Remember once a smoker always a smoker... just cause you quit smoking does not mean you stop being smoker --- you just stopped smoking.... You will have urges through out.... sometimes minor others major.... but you cannot give in..... WE ARE ADDICTS of different sorts but addicts just the same....
0 Kudos
liz19

Thanks Roz - I appreciate it! You should just stop smoking all together though! I've only been on the Chantix for 3 and a half weeks, and I haven't smoked in over 2 weeks - my average was 25 smokes a day. You will feel tons better! I don't think any of what I'm feeling is bad enough to get off the meds - yet - but I'm keeping a close eye on how I feel. I'm not as concerned about the weight gain, puffy middle, as I am about my mood swings and depression. I've NEVER had a problem with depression, so to feel this way for a couple days is really a new and not so fun experience. But I am determined to stay with this. So if I start feeling "crazy" or even more depressed, I'll talk to my doc. Mostly I was just shocked to realize I was so depressed......But I'm feeling better today!

Adonis - Thank you. I don't normally drink sodas, and I drink a lot of water and hot unsweet tea. (I love it!) However, I have been craving cokes lately - and so I let myself have a few, because fighting one craving was enough! So that may be it - my body isn't used to NOT getting smoke, and GETTING soda. So. I'll stay away from those for a week and see if that helps the puffy. Otherwise, I'll call the doctor. I'm sure I'll be fine - and I know, the most important thing is NO SMOKING. haha. But really, that hasn't been a big problem - yet. 😃
0 Kudos
sandi6

OMG! I have been craving Coca-Cola - not Pepsi - only Coke. Never been a big soda drinker, so this is new to me. I usually drink iced tea or water. As far as the depression is concerned ~ I really had a bad weekend 2 or 3 weeks after I quit smoking ~ then I realized that I was "mourning". I miss my "friend" ~ Cigarettes. I let myself really feel bad for that weekend. I had lost a 39 year companion....It is traumatic. It went through the loss of my parents with me, a really bad marriage and divorce - trials of being a mother, the "controller" of a big company, and stress of balancing all of it without going crazy or feeling like I had failed in any part of my responsibilities.
So, if you have a time of feeling down, as I learned, let yourself mourn the loss of your "friend" (who was ultimately killing you!)
0 Kudos
weavs

i tried chantix and quit for about 2 weeks...it was amazing...it def. helps with the urges...i had no desire to smoke. but, i then became depressed which is not like me at all and found out that there was a new study on the drug saying it causes depression. i still smoke now and really want to quit but i will not use that drug again. i would sleep a lot when i was on it and take tons of naps when usually i was constantly hyper and wanting to do something...i am no dr. but i don't recommend this to anyone...unless you like to feel depressed
0 Kudos