cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sue3

I want to stop but never find the right time.

Hi,

I am brand new to this site. I am 48 years old and have been smoking since I was twelve. I have 2 relatively young daughters (9 and 12) that I would like to be around a long time for. My own mother died 6 years ago from emphazema and lung cancer. I remember feeling so sad that cigarettes were the cause and knew even then that I needed to quit or I will follow the same path. I have been trying to quit since 2001. I have tried hypnosis, laser, the patch (which probably is the easiest way but burns my skin), Chantix (makes me sick), Zyban, inhalers and gum. I used to be a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker but am down to between 12-18 cigs (mainly due to whatever stop smoking aid I am on). I have read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", by Allen Carr many times. My husband smokes a little over a pack and really has no desire to quit. I smoked my last cigarette in my pack a few minutes ago so right now I don't have a pack of cigarettes on me but I know he has a carton in his car. We only smoke in the garage and outside. I hate that I smoke. I hate that I tell my kids to wait a minute so I can go and have a smoke. I hate that they hate it and are embarassed by it. I hate the way my coat smells. I hate the cost of smoking both monetarily and what I know it is doing to my health. And yet, I continue to smoke. I lay down every night and pray that I will stop smoking but it is the very first thing I do in the morning. Ugh!!!!! I know millions of people have been successful in quiting and I want to be one of them. I did quit once for 2-3 months back in 2001. I was so sure I would never smoke again and then I did and now I do. Whatever advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Just typing this has helped. Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Opidfght

I'm on day 2 after falling off the wagon and went back to smoking. If you fail keeping trying and good luck 

0 Kudos
missellen

I am also on day 2 after falling off the wagon.  It is definitely difficult--one of the hardest things I've done, but I gotta keep trying.  You have the added burden of your husband still smoking, too.  Is he supportive of you quitting?  Have you discussed it with him yet?  There are a lot of really good tools on this site and a TON of support.  Spend some time on the site and read--it'll help.  Come here often and hang out, there is always someone around.  Hang in there and good luck!

0 Kudos