cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

amy-l.-harden

Quit date is July 1st- Using Chantix

I have quit cold turkey, quit with the patch...now I will try Chantix...my quit date is July 1st...starting to implement my program to eliminate the triggers.

My doctor gave me strict instructions to be aware of the side effects and if they become too severe to back off on the dosage...everyone reacts differently to the drug...but that she had had several patients who had found success with it.

So, Chantix it is...so I can live a longer life!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
janie5

Welcome aboard Amy & Sue!
I've tried every which way to quit also....so glad I gave CHANTIX a try! This is the most successful journey I've had. I took CHANTIX for 7 days and quit smoking on the 8th day! Currently, I've dropped my dosage back to 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg at night. I got the new prescription for the next month and will continue to take it.

The side effects I've encountered have been the WHACKY dreams and gas...easy to work with. No stomach upsets because I do take pill right after having a meal. Never ate breakfast before but eat my bowl of Cherrios every morning nice and early.

Good luck on your adventure.....we are here to help ya along the way!

I have now stopped smoking for 3 weeks, 23 hours, 4 minutes, 11 seconds. That translates into 307 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $65.33! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 1 day, 1 hour, 37 minutes, 17 seconds.

You can get a free quit meter at http://www.tobaccofreeguam.org/meter.htm or do a google search for QUIT SMOKING METER
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Amy, congratulations on you r July 1 quit date. That sounds like a good day. I am taking Chantix and it in my opinion is the only reason I've been successful. I had a bit of nasea the first couple days then was fine, I've had a few weird dreams but not bad..I know there is a lot of controversy about Chantix but if I could have quit using no aids I would have a long time ago...good luck, I'm here if you need me..
Donna
0 Kudos
april.3

Welcome Amy and Sue and congratulations on your decisions to free yourself.

I smoked a pack a day for 24 years, tried to quit 4 times before, and feel blessed to have heard about Chantix when I did. I was truly a miracle for me. I am celebrating 5 months smoke free and have never felt better. I took Chantix for approximately 14 weeks - and split my evening pills in half (due to the dreams / insomnia the med gave me) and in my last month, weaned myself off by splitting both the morning and evening pill in half. I am sure you will find what works best for you.

Congratulations again! April, Day 163 Smoke Free and Healing
0 Kudos