cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Daily Tips and Exercises for the COPD Patient - Walking Exercises (From Lincare)

Daily Tips and Exercises for the COPD Patient - Coughing Exercises (From Lincare)

CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE BEGINNING THIS OR ANY OTHER EXERCISE

Hydration

Thick, sticky mucus is difficult to cough up, especially with a weakened cough reflex. It is important that you drink enough fluids to keep your mucus thin and loose. Check with your physician to determine how much fluid you shoud drink daily to keep your cough effective.

Humidify your home or at least the rooms you sleep in or spend most of your time in. Keep your humidifiers clean, as they are a possible source of infection.

Do not smoke, as smoking takes moisture out of your mucus and makes the mucus thicker.

Cough
Remember, control your coughing since uncontrolled coughing can make you short of breath. Discuss with your physician which type of coughing exercise is best for you.

You should perform these coughing maneuvers whenever you feel the need to cough, or as instructed by our physician. A good controlled cough is especially helpful when you first get up in the morning and about an hour before bedtime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sit up straight in a chair when attempting these coughing exercises. Have a tissue handy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exercise A
1. Sit straight on a hard-backed, stable chair, and relax.

2. Take in 2-3 deep breaths through your nose and exhale slowly through pursed lips.

3. Fold your arms across your abdomen.

4. Take in a comfortable, deep breath through your nose.

5. Lean forward, pressing your arms against your abdomen, and cough while leaning forward.

6. Relax; rest 5-10 minutes.

7. Perform again if needed.

Exercise B
1. Sit up straight; relax.

2. Take in 2-3 breaths through your nose and exhale slowly through pursed lips.

3. Take in a moderately deep breath, hold breath, and make a "huff" sound in your throat.

4. When you feel comfortable with this exercise, try to to "huff" 3-4 times while exhaling.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sue5

Thanks Barb I'm going try that. I know when I had my breathing test don't remember what it was called, she had me realize then take in on deep breath and then blow it out quick and to keep blowing no hesitation of blowing. It was hard to do without wanted to hesitate and breathe in some.
How are doing by the way??? Sorry I haven't been on here much with Christmas and all but I haven't forgotten you and us copders.
0 Kudos

Hi Sue, that was a Pulmonary Function Test. I had one of those too and my doctor wants me rechecked after my rehab is over with. It is hard to blow until they tell you to stop. But the breathing will get easier for you if you try to breathe correctly through in through your nose and out through your mouth. And if you try to do some sort of exercise to strengthen your lungs at least once or twice a week minimum. My computer doesn't do good with all the graphics on this site so I'm not always here. But I do try to pop in when I can.
0 Kudos

Hi Linda, sorry to hear that you have COPD as well. Your pharmacist will be the best person to determine what drug interactions you would have if any. I haven't used Spiriva, but I have used Advair and am now on Serevent. Both I think are similar to Spiriva. If you don't like the results you get with Spiriva, let your doctor know, he/she can put you on something else until you find what's right for you. I couldn't use the Advair because of the steroids. It gave me severe body aches. The Serevent gives me minor aches but I can live with them in order to breathe better. Plus, the longer I remain smoke free, the better my breathing is getting too. You might also want to ask about Pulmonary Rehab. It helped me a great deal. They teach you proper breathing techniques and build up you lung capacity by putting you on exercise equipment to help you live a better life with whatever disease you have. It was the best thing I did for myself. Please let us know what you find out about the Spiriva. It might just help somebody else down the road.
0 Kudos
webslave

Linda, it is a capsule. As you prepare to inhale from it,,,the capsule is crushed...allowing you to inhale the micro powder. I've used the Spiriva inhaler before. Very good results.
0 Kudos