cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Started Rehab Today

Well, I started my Pulmonary Rehab today. It was great! I started out by doing some stretching exercises. Stretched my neck, then my legs, back and arms. Found a few muscles I forgot I had. Then they took my blood pressure and took my oxygen level and heart rate. (They check your oxygen level and heart rate after every exercise and depending on how long you are on the machine, half way through.)

Then they put me on a treadmill. Walked on that for 6 minutes. That got my heart rate up a bit and got me to wheezing some. Before I started, and after every single exercise, they ask you how your breathing is on a scale of 0 (very good) to 5 (severe difficulty). Mine never got worse than a 2 (hard). I'm sure it will get harder then better as time goes on. But anyway, after the treadmill, I was put on a machine that you sit at, and it is a kind of rowing machine type thing. But only your arms move. It's hard to describe and I don't know what it's called. He just said that he was going to work my arms. Then I was put on a bike type of thing, but not the old fashioned bikes, they have those there too, but I didn't go on them today. He said he will work me up to those. It was a stepper bike thingy. (Boy, I'm so good at describing things huh? LOL) This exercise I didn't really like, and this is the one that had me give a rating of 2. The guy on the stepper bike next to me (we were the last ones to leave today) said he was a smoker for 44 years! He said he stopped smoking too, but I didn't ask him for how long, we were both struggling for air. It was his 13th time there and he had worked his way up to 20 minutes on everything. My instructor was telling me this to let me know that it doesn't take too long to build your lungs up. After that machine, he took me over to the steps. Just regular steps that you climb. They were four high. I had to take a deep breath in, and then breathe out while I was climbing. And then do the same coming down. That was all he put me on for today. He said for the first couple times, that is all I'll be on, he'll work me up to the bike and the weight machine. There is some other machines there too I think. I can't remember. I was kind of nervous. I was the youngest one there. There were some people there with oxygen tanks, and they were doing awesome. So I'm sure that this is going to help me tremendously. I'm so glad I asked my doctor to get me into this.

Barb - 136 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes and 34 seconds smoke free. 2733 cigarettes not smoked. $584.80 and 20 days, 21 hours of my life saved! My quit date: 5/3/2008 3:00:00 AM
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

I had my second session today. I go twice a week. I could go a third day, but I work during the time it is offered, and I can't get out for it. So just the two days. The exercise does improve the oxygen level. So far, both times I left with my oxygen level at 100%. But it varies depending on what exercise I'm doing. The harder the exercise, the lower the oxygen level. But, they have you rest for about 5-10 minutes at the end before they take the final count. I do have stairs to climb at work though, so I can practice them at least. And the breathing was better today. There are two Pulmonologists. The other one was there when I first got there this time, and she showed me some better ways of breathing that really helped me this time. I'm still having a hard time breathing through my nose, but it's getting easier now that I know the right way to do it.
0 Kudos

Oh, by the way, one of the things I discussed with this Pulmonologist is one of the things I notice with myself, is I get impatient and I allow my legs to take me places faster than my lungs want me to. And that is one of the reasons I run out of breath so fast. She smiled and told me it's ok to slow down sometimes. I was on the treadmill at the time and told her that was why I chose to do the treadmill at such a slow spead (1.6) to force myself to slow down to a speed that my lungs can handle.
0 Kudos

Ok, for anybody who has moderate (Stage 2) or worse emphysema, I HIGHLY recommend you talk to your doctor about Pulmonary Rehab. If you have a milder case of it, then it would greatly benefit you to get to stepping. Start walking, join a gym, join Curves, do something that gets you moving. Both your arms and your legs. What I'm realizing is that what they are simply doing is getting me moving to strengthen my lungs. But not only that, they are teaching me to breathe properly. Remember when we were in school, and our gym teacher would always tell us to breathe in through the nose, and out through the mouth. Well, it really does work to build up your lungs. I've been practicing it all day every day ever since I was taught the proper way to do it.

You know the breathing exercises you read about online. How they tell you to breathe in through your nose for a count of 5, and out for a count of 5. Or in for a count of 2, and out fo a count 4, or any combination of either of the two. Well, the one Pulmonologist told me not to even worry about numbers. What she wanted me to concentrate on taking a deep breath in through my nose, and forcefully blowing it out through my mouth making sure that all of the air was exhaled. She said the problem we have with breathing, is we are not exhaling all of the old air, and when we breathe back in, we are breathing back in the stale air, and then breathing back out and breathing back in more stale air. We have to try to get rid of all of the old air first before we try to take in a new breathe. So I've been practicing that a lot. Breathing in through my nose, and forcefully exhaling through my mouth. And my breathing does seem to be impoving. Especially while I'm AT rehab. Doing the exercises does not leave me gasping for air like it did the first day.

But if you do this by yourself, talk to your doctor first, and do it in moderation at first. Build yourself up. That is what they are doing for me. Starting me off slowly. Only a few minutes on each exercise. And only a few exercises at a time. Each day we add a minute or two. And this week we added a couple more exercises. You don't want to feel pain. Pain means something is wrong. I hope that all who are struggling for air can start to breathe better soon. It's starting to work for me.

I can't wait to get further into this. We are supposed to get some sort of counseling too. I'm not sure when that will be, but I'll be sure to let you all know.
0 Kudos
sheila12

HI Barb! It's Sheila!
My comp has been down for a week- thought I would die- But, SATURDAY will be 28 DAYS!!!! Had a heck of a week- almost caved a couple of times... BUT- SAT will be a month! A MONTH!!!
Thank you for letting us know what all rehab consists of. I have another appt in a couple of weeks- I do not know when I will start! Talk to ya later! THANKS AGAIN!!!! Sheila
0 Kudos
sue5

Barb,
I've been on here reading and thank you for talking about what pulmonary rehab is I'm going to ask my doctor about it.
I like the idea about breathing I can see where it might help, but are we suppose to always breathe like that because it sounds and looks kind of funny. Or is it only when we are exercising or doing breathing exercises we do this???? Guess I'm really curious.
0 Kudos

Hi Sue, I breathe like that usually when I'm out of breath or when I exercise. You don't have to purse your lips to breathe out through your mouth. And you don't have to blow so forcefully that it looks silly. The point is to get all of the air out of you. My mom has emphysema too and had in home nurses coming to her house for a little while. They used to tell her..."smell the roses, blow out the candles."

Having COPD means we have to change certain things in our lives, maybe walk a little slower, or exercise a little more to increase our lung function, but it doesn't mean we have to constantly think about how we breathe. Just breathe normally, but if you are feeling low on breathe, try the breathing exercise.

I'm like you. I don't get a whole lot of answers from my doctors. But I do and can get a lot more answers at my rehab. And if I was able to, I could continue rehab after the insurance stops paying for it for a small fee. Unfortunately, it would interfere with my job and they won't allow me to go past that time. I haven't been to rehab in 2 1/2 weeks due to bronchitis and a severe ear infection, but I'm only a little over half way through the program. I'm really looking forward to going back. I hope you can get into it too.

Oh, and one more thing. I saw you said something about oxygen and breathing. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Just because you are having a hard time breathing, doesn't mean your oxygen level is low. And just because your oxygen level is a little low, doesnt' mean you will have a hard time breathing. I learned that at rehab. There are times when I'm really feeling like I'm having a hard time breathing and they come around and check me and my oxygen level is pretty good. And there is this lady there who is on oxygen, and her lips will be turning blue because her oxygen level is getting a little low, but she doesn't feel like she is having as hard a time at breathing as the oxygen level suggests. A little hard time, but not as hard a time as you would think.

Hope this helps you some,
Barb
0 Kudos