cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rachel17

More trouble the second time around!

I am 36yrs. old and a mother of 2 ages 4 and 5. I had quit smoking for six years while starting my family,never thought I would start again. I have been smoking again for 3 yrs. I want to stop now for my health and I don't want my kids to think it's ok to smoke.(The idea of either one of them smoking ever gives me wicked nightmares.) I have never smoked in front of them but kids are much smarter than we give them credit for. (I'm sure they must know.) I'm having a much harder time quiting this time around. Life is crazier now!!! Any suggestions? My quit date is set for sept. 4th.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
laura36

You and I have the same story...I quit for six years to start a family and two and half years ago thought I could have one on New Year's eve. My husband is a smoker though, and not the reason I smoke, also smokes outside, but very hard to deal with. When he travels, I have a lot less urges to cheat.

I am so annoyed that the first time I started and quit for six years ago it seemed easier, now at 34 it seems much harder...I totally agree with you. I wish I never started two and half years ago! But realize there's not much i can do to about it and beating myself up is not a good idea either.

My quit date was Sept. 2nd.
0 Kudos
rachel17

It is harder this time. I faltered at work and then smoked again until this morning. I am recommitted today. I have made it the whole day now and I am feeling more positive about my future as an ex! So I guess today is my real quit day. I'll never give up the fight for myself , my kids ,and my life. No matter how many times I fall I will just get up and start again. Something did happen to kick me back into gear. I went to donate blood the other day. I had just smoked prior to going in. When they checked my vitals, my heart rate was very high 100. After that I could feel it every time I smoked, I knew my heart was racing every time. So far as I know I am healthy so this was a shock that the cigs could affect my heart that dramatically each time. I want to stop right now before this is something more major, like breathing problems,high blood pressure,heart attack, stroke, lung cancer, or any number of other horrible maladies.
0 Kudos
leah9

I too had no problem quitting to start my family but when a divorce hit me 3 years later, I went right back to my old disgusting habit. I tried to quit over and over this time. I kept finding an excuse to put it off or to cheat when I was quitting. As you know stress is alot greater as you take on more responsibilities in life, esp. being a mom. My blood pressure and my pulse had gone up, my chest felt so heavy, and that cough, oh that horrible cough. It wasn't until I decided that this was it. No matter what stress came my way-NO MORE CIGARETTES! It has really been empowering to me to admit to myself that I was using smoking as a crutch for a reality I just had to face head on. I'm glad I decided to quit while I was dealing with major issues this time because it has given me a challenge to find other ways, healthy ways, to deal with the stress. I will never reach for a cigarette again. Instead I'll reach to my loving child who wants me to be happy and healthy as long as I can be.
0 Kudos
laura36

I know what you mean, it can be harder...thanks for your feedback...my son is all I have right now. I know I need to be around for him to take care of him as long as I can and smoking just interupts it. Thanks...
0 Kudos
laura36

This time is harder for sure...I need to start planning better...my son starts school tomorrow so i will be able to use the web better and plan more accordingly. I didn't realize that at our age the health factors involved, in terms of simple blood pressure, etc., but it makes it more real...so thank you.
0 Kudos
rachel17

It seems to just be the getting started that was harder this time. I now have two days under my belt. It is still really difficult but not nearly as bad as I had built it up to be in my mind. Worrying about what will happen when I quit and actually seeing what has happened. Every minute I last the more I like myself and the better I feel about everything.
0 Kudos
leah9

Awesome Rachel. That is so good to hear. You deserve to feel good about yourself, it will help you shine brighter than you already do. Keep up the good work. Best of success to you.
0 Kudos
rachel17

I want the second time to be the last. I' m on day 4 and I want this to be my final quit. I don't ever want to be a smoker again. I can't help but to wonder how after 6 years did I start smoking again? I can't even remember now. How do I make sure it never happens again? Does anybody have any great thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
rachel17

I do remember why I started again. It was a social thing too. What I really meant to say was how did I let myself think that was OK. I thought I no longer had a problem with smoking. I wish I could be one of those people that smokes one cig every now and then and that's that. I can't do that though it would always build up again. I need to keep telling myself that I can't touch another cigarette under any circumstance ever! KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos