cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

istenya

Battling grumpiness...

Does anyone with some time behind them have suggestions for combatting the grumpiness? I am having a heck of a time being nice and rational these days. Or if anyone knows how long this stage is going to last, I would love to have that information as well. Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bonnie4

When I find myself feeling grumpy, I remember that it is ridiculous to be mad about something I can't do when I was the one who wanted to stop in the first place. I think, like anything else in recovery, it can last as long as we choose for it to. One of the things I missed years ago when I first came to the program is not only do I no longer have to use, I no longer have to act out on my character defects. Realizing that it's not okay for me to hurt other people and that in the long run, the person I hurt most is me by having to live with regret, guilt or shame for my behavior has helped. I'm not perfect. It didn't happen overnight. It has been a gradual process of changing my thought patterns and behavior as well as picking up a lot of tabs for my actions that have helped me learn to think before I act. Rational thought is possible when I face my emotions, let them go and learn to live by facts not feelings. I had to get help doing this by reaching out especially when I felt the anger, fear or whatever I was feeling and let my predecessors walk me through it. The more I practice these principles, the more they become second nature to me.

Remember, we can't think our way into better living. We must live our way into better thinking. Learn to practice this new way of life and gradually your thinking will change.
0 Kudos
bonnie4

You're welcome Karen! Remember progress not perfection is the key!
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

Hello...I am a friend of Bill's who has returend to this site with a quit date and a plan.  I was here about five years ago and all of the posts I see are that old.  Anybody out there today!

0 Kudos