cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ready2021

Second Time Around

Hey everyone I'm back praying to stay had 2 years all is lost my quit day was yesterday 2-21-21 I feel crappy 

Tags (1)
12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Ready2021 and Welcome Back...I am so sorry you lost a 2 year quit.  But you know you quit for 2 years and you can do it again...You started back in the journey and that is to be commended...remember the crappy feeling because you don’t want to go back there again...Keep close to us and the support site...You are worth this quit...we are here for you...and will remind you NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) NMW (No Matter What)...Listen to your body ... it needs to heal again ... whatever don’t beat yourself up ... ~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 812 DOF 

Ready2021

Thank you and I never forgot the wonderful people here

indingrl

Ready2021

Thank you sincerely

indingrl

You are very welcome

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

You might want to give yourself a refresher with Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking.  As well, give some thought on what you were thinking that caused you to make a decision to smoke after such a wonderful quit.  Then, make a plan NOW what you can do differently this time in that same emotion/circumstance..

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Giulia

Ouch ouch ouch.  Oooh that hurts.  So of course our next questions to you will be " what caused your relapse, what have you learned, what are you going to do to make sure it doesn't happen in the future..." etc.  These are obviously the questions you need to ask and answer for yourself.  You don't have to pray to stay, you just have to stay.  It's a choice.  Agree with it, accept it - or - fight it, doubt yourself, hope that some day you may actually get to smoke again without penalty.  The perfect cigarette.  One that tastes as good as we think it does but causes no harm whatsoever and solves all our problems..  That's a dream.  And that's the lie of addiction.

It's so easy for those of us who have managed to best this foe within ourselves to say that:  "it's a choice, agree, accept."  But until you are actually at that point, they're just  the "right words."  Until you actually FEEL it, KNOW it within your bones - they're helpful words but just words which we agree with intellectually.  Conquering an addiction takes more than just an intellectual agreement.  It takes a visceral one.  It takes an emotional one.  And even then, our emotions change.  And so do our quits.  That's why I think it's important to remain connected to a support site.  It reinforces what we need to do, how we need to do it, why we need to do it on a much more emotional, personal level.  It also reminds us of the cost of relapse.  Addiction costs, but relapse costs twice as much.  Because we found that Best of us and threw it away with full knowledge. 

The happy news is that we can get it all back - that pride in ourselves by paying attention to that Best of ourselves.  And here you are, ready to pay that attention again.  Glad!  If crappy promotes happy - then good.  If crappy does nothing to spur you on but just brings out the whip of failure - ditch it.   Depending upon our attitudes - failure can make us hunger for more of it's opposite (maybe that word is success?), or it can make us feel utterly defeated, why bother, "I'll never make it," kind of thinking.  The latter which only leads us down the path of more self loathing and more defeat.  I personally see failure as a learning experience.  (Well, sometimes!  lol)  I find that when I take it that way emotionally (something from which to learn), it better enables me to try to figure out how to not fail next time.  And the whip isn't brought out.  

Passing thoughts on a February 22nd night....

elvan

Welcome back, so sorry that a two year quit was sacrificed to get you back here but you ARE here & we are happy about that. Do the reading, stay close to the site, know that you are not alone on this journey.

Ellen

0 Kudos