cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KellanC74

Vaping child

Still have a child vaping and thinking she is not going to be caught.  So frustrating since being a role model of 598 days. Which to me was well worth it. But I get my child is a teen. Ready to drug test her weekly. I know she was drug tested in September and more than just vaping. Suggestions?

Labels (1)
12 Replies
indingrl

Thank you for sharing and please - Contact MARK the EXsite manager for PROFESSIONAL help with your teen thank you because  - WE are recovering NICOTINE ADDICTS - NOT professional counselors - just sharing

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

indingrl wrote:

Thank you for sharing and please - Contact MARK the EXsite manager for PROFESSIONAL help with your teen thank you because  - WE are recovering NICOTINE ADDICTS - NOT professional counselors - just sharing

Also not a counselor. Those who are parents may have ideas however on how to handle situations with their children that may help other parents guide their child through quitting vaping/smoking/chewing. Parents may be able to help other parents in general determine an approach to take with their child.

This is also a relatively new topic and there have been people coming here looking for advice. They ask questions b there isn't yet a quorum of people her yet who have navigated the topic successfully to step in and respond. I hope that changes and maybe KellanC74‌ will be able to do that some day.

Counseling may be helpful if chatting with your child is challenging. The child may be more open to talking to a counselor alone. Or the parent and child might want to attend together.  I also think there is a lot of value with parents sharing their stories and experiences here on EX.  Sharing things that worked. Things that didn't work.  Sharing also how you talk about the topic are all valuable. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
indingrl

Mark

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

KellanC74

Is she signed up for our text messaging program, This is Quitting? I get that it's frustrating and jumping to drug testing weekly may not be best approach at this point.  

I think it would be beneficial to have more context on the situation.

• When did you find out?
  • What you've done so far.
    • Was your approach supportive or frustrated?
    • How did she react?
    • Are there other things that you've conflicted with before? How did you resolve them?
  • How have you offered to help thus far?
    • Does she confide in you regularly?
  • Can you provide her professional counseling to have a safe place to communicate with someone other than you?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
KellanC74

Since 2017 I have caught her vaping over the years, She does not think anything will happen to her even with showing her what vaping can do to her body, teen is 16   She uses money that my mom and I have given her to buy lunch/dinner or other things she may need. I even stopped smoking to show her that it was not worth it

Curb who she hangs out with, I get that she is 16 and can make her own choices and will fail but continuing to vape cause it is cool   Her health issues are worse, using an inhalers for asthmatic issues has increased since September 

YoungAtHeart

You know she is doing it - if she thinks you can't prove it - I don't really think that matters.    Her doctor might be able to help with information - and here is a blog by the folks at Mayo that might help:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2019/07/11/helping-your-children-who...   I think your only tool in this fight is information - the more the better. 

SHE is going to have to decide that injuring her health (and increased use of the inhalers is proof of that) and the proof that vaping is the cause may be the only weapon against "looking cool."    You might supply information to her about nicotine addiction, as well, so she understands why she thinks it calms her, helps her think and all the other lies of the addiction.

I have a daughter who has RA, quit smoking but is still vaping.  I KNOW how worried you are! 

So sorry - raising teenagers is a difficult road these days.  Always accept that you are doing the best you can, and that is all anybody can do!

Nancy

msterling999

Hi 

You may want to connect with disneymom9796  who is having a similar issue with her son.

Maggie

Barbscloud

I know how frustrating this must be.  I don't know if we can do more than educate about the cons of whatever behavior it is.  Even the best of parents have children that make bad choices.  Hoping for the best with the situation.

Barb

0 Kudos

I posted a study this morning about vaping making young people more susceptive to Covid-19 BUT IT'S IN MODERATION.

0 Kudos