cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Madmrt

I wanna know if what I'm feeling is normal at 2 weeks without a vape?

Ok so I'm in the middle of my 15th day without a vape and was wondering if it's normal to feel like something is moving in your lungs or to be short of breath and have really bad anxiety and panic attacks that don't go away idk what to do any advice would be appreciated

Labels (1)
4 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your first two weeks!  That is HUGE!

You are an addict recovering from a nicotine addiction, and it takes a month or so for your body to adjust to life without the drug. Anxiety and  panic attacks can certainly be part of the process. If you are really concerned, a call to your doctor might be in order. 

It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you!  You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . which can be found online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all),, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s

Breathing exercises helped with my anxiety...and meditation...

pastedImage_1.gif Do the work suggested above from Youngatheart and keep close to the support site for help and to encourage others on this journey...Colleen 800 DOF

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 2 weeks.  This does some common for withdrawal from nicotine, but we always recommend that you check with your doctor if symptoms continue.  

Keep moving forward.

Barb