cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CathyC1332

ATTITUDE

I smoked.  A friend who smokes came over to visit and pretty soon I am asking for a cigarette. I had to take the next step and buy a pack. I have even been smoking wearing the patch. I felt so out of control.  I had my 2 week checkup on how my neck is doing after surgery.  I don't have to see my doctor for 3 months. He wants me in physical therapy.   I have to learn to move like a robot as he said.  I am not to turn my neck as I normally did as the bones are fused and need to heal.  All I have been focusing on is what I CAN'T DO.  I have been depressed. I look around and see all that I would normally do and I can't do it now. No bending, twisting, lifting more than 5 pounds.  I totally lost my focus in everything. So here I am back. I am going to make this a winning round.  I asked myself why I am so unable to accomplish this task.  I don't know.  I just need to keep moving on.  So I am setting a new quit date for Feb 14.  I will continue the patch and lozenge.  It's like a hibernating bear wakes up inside me and takes over to wreck any type of change I made.  I know I can do this. So I am going to focus on what I CAN DO.  I can read, I can walk in the house, there is a lot of snow out and it's very cold, I have no desire to go out for fear of falling.  I can write in my journal.  There are many things I can do, it's like I lost interest.  I know my body has been through a big trauma, so I need to be extra kind to it. And smoking is not acceptable.  I pray for strength to quit smoking. I receive the strength and then I mess things up. Anyway, I am going to make every effort to be true to this site and listen to all of you.  So until next time, Stay safe.

Newbie starting a new.

Labels (1)
7 Replies
meWisconsin

Prepare prepare prepare. You can do it this time. Remember "I don't do that anymore"

Terry

JACKIE1-25-15

Somehow this popped up when I copied and paste. 

It is from another blog it may apply so I am leaving it here.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

I asked myself why I am so unable to accomplish this task.  I don't know. 

It is called addiction to nicotine.  /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2019/02/01/know-the-law?sr=search&searchId=7ff16f8d-01d9-44cb-9a2b-f035a3b... 

I  really try to keep things simple. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/08/14/keep-it-simple?sr=search&s...  

I use to ask myself the same question /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2016/07/24/until?sr=search&searchId=f3c8952d-39d1-47f2-8ed5-f77e193d71a1&s...

‌Message from an elder/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2019/03/24/doable?sr=search&searchId=a5e5a830-2f7a-422a-a0a6-8293e1ca024... 

YoungAtHeart

What will you do differently THIS time?  Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

So - if you didn't do the recommended reading, do it NOW.  If you didn't change up your routines, do it now.  If you didn't write down your reasons for quitting (you will heal much better and faster if you don't smoke!) and things you can do to get past a crave, do them NOW!  If you didn't get a quit kit together, do it.  It might include some lollipops, Fireballs,  red licorice, frozen grapes or anything that lasts awhile to keep your mouth busy.  You might get some straws and cut them in lengths from which to puff.  Get some adult coloring books and crayons, or a jigsaw or crossword book.  Look for new games on your phone or online you can play.  You could march in place, if you can-do chair sit/stands, do them, they would be good exercise.  Slow, deep breaths are always available to you.  Here is a guide to help you do them:b881c6f56a0a8d0ae384de7f7e4df726.gifGet rid of all cigarettes, butts, lighters before your quit time.  Keeping them around is giving yourself permission to fail.

Keep in mind that these limitations aren't forever - so start making lists of what you want to do when Spring gets here!

Finally, on that quit date, COMMIT to never smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  Don't then argue with yourself about it - you simply don't do that anymore - so when the conversation starts in your head, get your mind on something else  - immediately.

You CAN do this!  Keep in mind, too, that it will get easier - just like your surgery recovery.  You just need to give it the time it takes.

Nancy

You’ll learn from this fail. I think you really want this, that that desire to become smoke free will keep you from smoking. You have to really really want to quit! And yes, definitely pray that God give you strength. Good for you for coming back!

Barbscloud

Glad you're getting back on track.  Look at it as a learning experience and move on with what you've learned and with a new  commitment.  This isn't easy and when we're experiencing challenges it's easy to feel sorry for ourselves.  Think we've all been there.   Start planning now what your tools will be.  I know it can be harder when you're physically limited.   In addiction walking, I played video games, came to the Ex for support -- so explore whatever interests you.  Focusing on what you can do is a positive way to approach your journey.

Looking forward to celebrating with you on the 14th.

Barb

elvan

That hibernating bear lives inside ALL of us, it’s part of the addiction. NEVER allow smoking in your home by you OR you friends. It helps.

Glad you are getting right back up.

Ellen

sweetplt

Sorry you started back to smoking CathyC1332 I hope you learned from what happened and get back on the quit journey sooner than later...Redo the work, read and read and help others here at Ex’s....make your quit and healing your number one priority...Colleen 800 DOF

0 Kudos