cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sylvieberger

My husband is out of town...

...and I feel like a bad teenager left alone for a weekend. I've already been thinking about smoking cigarettes and drinking wine (I'm quitting both right now). Not that I'm quitting for him, but I wouldn't have to admit to it- he would never know. These are the honest thoughts I'm having-I'm 48 and I would lie to my husband-and my children- and anyone for nicotine- addiction is crazy.

But feeling more in control after reading your posts- thank you!

I really don't want to re-do this first week, but I have to constantly remind myself of that

Just keep swimming ...just keep swimming

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Rachy2283

Redoing the first week is like never quitting.  A redo is not an option with a quit.  Keep educating yourself.  I will mention you in a few posts that literally changed my view and life for good .  I'm at 1 week and I feel great.  Yesterday 2 pieces of nicotine gum... So far today none!! But you can do this and changing your mind as well as reminding your self you are a non smoker is sooooo important.  Guard your quit and win one day at a time!! . You got this sylvieberger

sylvieberger

Thanks so much! I do need to start thinking of myself as a non-smoker. 

I loved the post you shared- and while I was on the youTube video I saw a TedTalks link that I liked too:

Judson Brewer: A simple way to break a bad habit | TED Talk 

Specifically I liked how he talked about being curious about cravings and that cravings are sensations in your body that come and go. When you get a craving be curious to your body's response...interesting!

Rachy2283

It really is incredible.  It started as a joke for me...(which made it fun and brought some joy) but I would reach for my water and say... Going to drink my water now, because I am a non smoking keep now I do it with everything now

It was suggested to me when I joined that "I don't do that anymore", it really helped me frame it as a choice I made and that helped me. But I had that same feeling about sneaking one when I first quit, but you would know, and you will feel terrible about having a smoke. 

YoungAtHeart

Your mind is probably your most powerful weapon in this fight to free yourself from addiction.  When you find yourself arguing about whether to have a smoke, or some wine - just STOP it!  Get your mind on something else.  March in place, call a friend, play a computer game, go for a walk, clean out a drawer (or a closet), take a long tub soak, give yourself a pedicure.....just do not sit there and think about smoking.

This quit thing takes work in the early days, but it becomes second nature after awhile.  If you do the work, though, you will get past these difficult days with ease.

It WILL get easier - hang in there until it does.

Nancy

sweetplt

sylvieberger 

This was my hardest too when hubs was away...take a bath and watch a movie...do anything, just don’t smoke...create a new memory while he is away so you no longer relate it to smoking...let us know how you are doing...~ Colleen 

indingrl

Thank you for sharing and YOU swim GOOD

sylvieberger

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your encouragement so much!

I ordered some of those gel strips for a manicure at home to try- it literally took me about 2 hours (tricky to line them up with your cuticle perfectly) and through most of the evening, but now I have pretty nails and didn't smoke or drink

sweetplt

Good Job sylvieberger and a great idea...(gel strips)...you not only helped yourself, but may have helped someone else having a tough time...way to go...!