cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

dudley87

I feel like that’s all I think about

My mind is consumed about constantly trying to quit smoking. I’m heading into day 5. I’m thinking about it too much right? My body is ridding the toxins out as we speak so my body feels so strange! Is this normal? Haha. I was at target this evening and literally could feel myself sweating all those nasty chemicals out! Now I’m wide awake... still thinking about my journey. Grrrr. But I also feel so amazing at the same time. Is that possible? Today was really rough for me. Not necessarily the cravings... but my body just getting rid of everything. I’m literally in detox mode and I don’t know what to do with myself to occupy the mind. Advice would be great fellow exes. And congratulations to everyone. We GOT this. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
36 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s dudley87 

Glad you found our site...Congratulations on 5 days of Freedom...Actually, we call this first week hell week.  It is all about just keeping the quit...as far as you feeling odd that is normal, be sure to be drinking lots of water.  I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX , also, keep close to the support site to educate yourself on addiction and quitting.  This doable, but takes hard work and commitment to make quitting your number one priority.  Remember we smoked through everything in our life, it takes time to feel good in our non smoking skin.  Keep busy .. here is a list to get you started..../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=9...  For me, I came to Ex’s and helped encourage others, I prayed, I walked, exercised, knitted, did jigsaw puzzles, cleaned every inch of my house, etc.,  We are here for you, keep close...Colleen 769 DOF 

dudley87

Hey! Thank you so much for your sweet reply! I typed that in the middle of the night wide awake fighting off these terrible symptoms. I’m glad I’m not alone and running to this page for support has been a god send omg!!!! It HELPS me 

maryfreecig

You are definitely normal dudley87!!! The stuff you are feeling...well that is why Ex says things like one day at a time so often, one hour if need be. Welcome to the Ex community. Keep up the good work. (

Barbscloud

Good morning dudley87   This is so normal right now so try to find activities to distract yourself.  Deep breathing, video games, exercise, etc.  Walking really helped me a lot.  Even just a short walk helped me to refocus my thinking. 

Remind yourself "I don't do that anymore" when you have those thoughts.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.  Big congrats on 5 days smoke free.

Barb

dudley87

Thanks barb! That’s what I keep telling myself. I feel great today thus far lol. The sweating out toxins is what has me!  I think I grossed myself out to the point I have no desire to touch one EVER again. We’ve recently just started eating better so this is also helpful thru my journey. Thanks for words of encouragement and of course congrats in your journey as well! 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal. Here is a blog which outlines the symptoms:   Early Withdrawal Symptoms.  This quit thing is a journey, not an event, and you will get through the process taking it one day at a time.  You are doing GREAT to be almost 5  days quit.  The nicotine was out of your body in three days; then it's a few weeks for it to adjust to life without the drug.  THEN it's the associations and triggers you will be left to deal with and that timeline depends on how well you change up your routines and distract yourself.  Learning to change your mind's direction and to not argue with yourself about smoking are two important skills that will serve you well.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

dudley87

Wow Nancy! Thanks for all that info! Very very helpful! I have some nicorette gum on hand I use here and there but that’s very infrequent. You are totally right on distracting for 3 Minutes! Super helpful and I try to tell myself it’s temporary and I got this! I’ve read about cigarettes and totally just freaked myself out so I’m so done. I don’t want that crap in my body 

dudley87

Switching the routine is SO helpful 

You have a great attitude! Sometimes that’s what makes the difference. You are in control! Congratulations!