cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jodeen

Your motivation to quit?

I’m gearing up for my quit date and have started a jam board of all of my reasons for quitting and my motivations. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that money is at the top of that list. But I will be able to save almost $5k in a year by quitting which will fund a kitchen improvement I really want (but don’t need). After that first year I can add additional funds to my retirement and will also need less to live on once I do retire. I know health will be at the top of everyone’s list—mine too with a history of asthma and high blood pressure with the added insult of pneumonia and pleurisy almost every year, and now the risks of COVID. I am super interested to hear what really helped carry YOU across the finish line as that might help me imagine things I haven’t thought of yet. TIA!!

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Oh, I can think of many!

Being able to BREATHE being at the top of the list.  Hang around and read about some folks here who are suffering from COPD.  It is devastating.

Not smelling like a dirty ashtray.

Not missing out on good times with family and friends while you are outside getting your fix.

Having an extra hour or two in your day that isn't wasted feeding your addiction.

Not having to go outside in the rain and sleet and snow or heat if you don't want to.

Not worrying anymore about needing to quit.

You already mentioned the money - but think, maybe, about spending that money on something that is injuring you with every dollar spent.

No more burn holes in your clothing or upholstery.

A clean smelling car - with no yellow film inside its windows.

Not being limited on where you can go, when, or how long you can stay.

Waiting in an airport and flying on a plane without jonesing for a fix.

...just off the top of my head!

Jodeen

Thank you!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s...Jodeen 

I am happy you found our site...You sound like me and others on this site...I have asthma, high blood pressure and three years in a row had pleurisy (so painful)...and I came to Ex almost 2 years ago...and quit smoking...You can too, it takes hard work, it isn’t easy, but it is doable...I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and set a quit date and plan for it like no other...it is good to learn techniques and list what you will do especially the first day in order to know smoke.  First,  rid all smoking paraphernalia the night before, Second, prepare and purchase items in advance that will help you (bottled water, pistachios in the shell, straws, etc.,) Also, come here often and stay close for support and to encourage others...You can do this and we are here to help...Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 687 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  I still save my cigarette money for ME after 2.5 years, but that never motivated me to quit.  When prices went up, I switched brands.  I would have to say health, even though it didn't stop me for 50 years.  When diagnosed with mild emphysema--I finally realized I had a chance to keep it from progressing.  Educating myself about nicotine addiction and having a quit plan is what finally worked for me.  Over the years, I'd pick a quit date (of course they're always a Monday) not really understanding the process.   I picked a quit date, cut down on a strict schedule, used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and was fortunate to find the Ex a week before my quit.   I also had a particular doctor that helped motivate me and steered me to a smoking cessation class.  So for me, it was a multiple approach, but it worked.   It's not easy and even if you choose to use an aid, it takes work.  But the quitters on this site are proof it can be done.

We're here to support you.  For many, having a support group is key.

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I think my pride was the greatest motivator. Once I decided to quit and realized that I feared I might fail, my pride got me and I said stuff like this to myself--Mary, you are doing this. Period. 

If money is your motivator, go for it!!! It's as good a reason as any. Health? We all ran away from the reality of smoking, living for each puff. Some have had health reasons as a motivator--what ever works is the best motivator!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Thanks for sharing - STAYING in this day only and reading the blogs and info offered here by Dr Hays and the EX team and watching the videos at whyquit.com all for FREE 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Well---tons of good reasons and good outcomes to quit.......

But my main motivation "going in" was that I was sick and tired of the whole deal.......

>PAYING FOR THEM(OMG! Seemed every week they got more expensive!)

>Finding a place to smoke (SOOOOOOOO socially unacceptable)

>"Having them"---always needing to check that you have enough for every situation and eventuality.....and then needing some thing to light them with....what a pain!

>Dealing with the smell. Seriously, I could not stand the smell of stale cigarette smoke and ran around like a nut with candles, drawer sachets etc etc trying to cover it ( which we all know really doesn't work)

I just got sick of the whole smoking deal and wanted so much to be someone who did not smoke. And now, I AM!!!

By the way--nothing wrong with money as a motivator. I quit in November of 2009 and by September of 2010 I was able to buy new living room furniture ( which our "new " dog ATE.....but that's another story! I didn't smoke over it!!!)

So glad you are quitting.....one of the BEST decisions you will ever make!

Cousin-Itt

Not saying anything but I might be something to truly think about.

Like you I had and still have high blood pressure a history of pneumonia and a few other conditions. 

My wife took me to the emergency room early morning I knew I had pneumonia again as I had so many times before and this would be the second time in 6 months.  This time was different I felt way worse.  The next thing I remember I woke up 4 days later hands tied to the bed on a ventilator   When I opened my eyes I saw my wife, and my 3 sons with a relieved  smile and tears in their eyes I'll never forget their faces I was only given a 50/50 chance to make it the night      2 weeks later my granddaughter came by to see me and she cried.

I promised myself I would never put my family thru that again if I could help it.  I quit to keep that promise. 

Over 4 years later I have a new grandson  Who will never see his grandpa smoke

I can give you a long list of reasons but my main 2 Family and health