cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DavesTime

Standing in line at Walgreen's

Last week, I was standing in line at Walgreen's, where I often bought cigs because they were cheaper than at the convenience stores. Yes, they still have a wall of many brands displayed right behind the counter. Their were two other customers in front of me and a couple in line behind me. Seeing that wall of cigarettes isn't a trigger for me anymore, thank God. But when the girl in front of me (around 20 years old, I guess) stepped up to the clerk, she placed her items on the counter and when the clerk asked  "Is there anything else?" she asked for a couple of packs of her brand. And she seemed almost embarassed when she said it. 

It hit me that that's how I felt the last few years I was an active smoker.  For years it never bothered me to buy cigs; I might as well have been buying Advil or a package of gum.  But these last few years, when I was in the position that that girl was, I was very aware that the other customers in line noticed. Every time I was at that same counter buying cigs it was as if I was declaring, "I'm an addict."  Of course, that didn't stop me from buying them.  I found myself sometimes trying to keep the conversation with the clerk light, as if to distract from my action which admitted that I was, in fact, that addict. 

I also remember other places where I bought cigs on a regular basis, often enough that the clerk had a pack of my brand waiting for me at the counter. I used to appreciate that.  As a closet smoker I didn't want to attract too much attention to my purchase. But I cringed one time, about two years before I quit, when one of those clerks at the convenience store, a smoker herself, called from across the aisle to the person who was manning the counter, "He wants a pack of Marlboro Lights."  Everybody in the store could hear that I was one of THOSE people, an addict who comes here to buy his cigs on a regular basis.  The last few years before I quit I felt almost apologetic and embarassed to buy cigarettes.  But the need I felt overcame that sense of shame every time.  I am so glad to be free of that stigma, that embarassment, that shame.  I feel sorry for that girl at Walgreens, because I know exactly how she must feel.

18 Replies
marciem

A friend of mine once wrote:

"100 years ago outcasts were called lepers

Now they're called smokers."

How true.  I'm so glad to no longer be a leper or pariah, given away ahead of time by the stench I exuded without knowing it.

SuzyQ411

OOH.. potent quoatation and post marciem‌... it sure hit home with me!  I used to be that stinky lady in line..... that outcast..... 

0 Kudos
indingrl

Thanks Dave beautiful share and I too am grateful to know but for the grace of God go I and to pray for those who are active in using nicotine to cope - I lift MY daughters in prayer continuosly in MY Lord Jesus name amen

noetoez

I remember, a few months before I quit. I stopped at Walgreens. I bought two bottles of cold brew coffee, and a pack of Newport 100s. The clerk made a joke about it looking like I was going on a stake out. I would not have thought a thing about that joke if it were a year prior. But I was so embarrassed walking out after that interaction.

DavesTime

It's amazing how our perspective changed, isn't it? Part of that, I think, is how our society has changed, and, for me, how aware I became that I was addicted.  (BTW, years ago, when I was a menthol smoker, I smoked Newports, too. As strong and nicotine-laced as those are I'm certain it helped to solidify my addiction.) Glad we both have quit and don't have to be embarassed any longer!

RoseH

Great Post!  DavesTime

None of us are much different from you and your feelings!  Deep down inside we know smoking is not a good thing, but the demon keeps us under his spell, and it’s called Addiction.  I am a different person now...  Because I practice abstinence from my Nicotine addiction...  I will not go backwards!  The freedom I feel is priceless!

CrazyQuitter

It's funny  how society has changed with this sort of thing. Back in the day everybody smoked. Now its not as socially acceptable as what it used to be because of all the proven research that is available now. I like your outlook there. I would of felt for the girl who bought her cigarettes. You empathized with this girl. But you stayed strong and stayed quit and that can be a positive kind of contrast to look at. Well done!

Strudel

I was nodding as I read this....I too remember the shame. Being free is so beautiful - in so many ways! 

sweetplt

DavesTime Hi Dave...been there, done that and can write the book...Great post and great reminder of those feelings I am so glad I don’t have to feel anymore...Have a great day ... Colleen 688 DOF