cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tibbetsethan

Dental Insurance for Ex-Smokers

So I found out that used to dental insurance providers could turn a person down if they were a smoker or an EX. Luckily that has changed, but that seems to be a very scary thing to think about. How many people were turned away due to them trying to get their mouth health under control after quitting? Or to think what if they came down with cancer and were unable to get insurance. The thought just is mind-blowing to me, and so sad.

15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I don't think most smokers understood what it did to their dental, their bone, their circulation, their heart health.  There were so many scare tactics employed by the medical community and they were, imho, ill conceived. Their hearts were in the right place, but I think they did a lousy job. Their campaign didn't do a THING to encourage me to stop.  I became immune to the pictures of smokers' lungs  - I think because the campaign was not combined with good resources to HELP me quit - to inform us that we were addicts and that it was not just a bad habit - that the stress we felt when we needed that fix was caused by the last cigarette we smoked.  I remember thinking if I broke a toe that the doctor would SOMEHOW link it to smoking - as though that were an idiotic idea.  Little did I know that osteoporosis was hastened by smoking.  They kept telling me to QUIT NOW - but I felt it was not possible for me.  I had no information on HOW to do it - and most doctors just told me to do it.

If I had found Allen Carr's book, perhaps I would have stood a fighting chance years ago.  As it was, I quit when my  circulation was already severely.compromised.  so little information did I have that I convinced myself that if I are a healthy diet, exercised every day, and kept an ideal weight, i could negate the bad effects of smoking...and I DID all of those things..

In my day, neither health nor dental insurance was impacted by being a smoker.  Surgery was not denied if you smoked, either.  Now that there are products and good information/programs to help people quit, and doctors ARE getting involved in helping people quit, there are less excuses, I think, not to.

Good topic, Ethan!

MarilynH

Great topic thank you for sharing! 

AnnetteMM

All my life I was obsessed with good dental hygiene. Imagine my shock and anger  when I found out I had to lose teeth due to the effects of smoking on receding gum lines and weak bones. 

SuzyQ411

Ditto AnnetteMM‌..I now have two partials and the "fun" is not over yet!

0 Kudos
elvan

SuzyQ411‌ Me too.

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

Yes my teeth took a beating due to smoking and I paid a premium price for dental insurance because I was a smoker for a not so premium insurance

Carl

tibbetsethan

Yes, everyone had to pay like a way higher price on insurance, and some even refused to insure people who were smokers at all. I just don't understand why people would do something like that to people. Granted we did all know that it was bad for our health in numerous ways, and probably sometimes even laughed it off as if the doctors were making bigger deals out of everything than was really needed to. You hear all your life about the smoker's lungs, cancer, and all that, but you don't hear about the vascular side of things, you don't hear about the dental side of things.

I had family who couldn't hardly even find insurance when they were almost dying in the hospital because of "pre-existing" conditions and because it was caused by smoking (the doctor had said). My grandma has PVD, in 2010 she had to have her toe amputated because it lost all bloodflow to it and turned gangrenous. She was so full of poison and needed stints, but didn't have insurance, when they went in to try to get it in an emergent state of things most places considered it pre-existing and didn't even want to have anything with it. Why is something labeled pre-existing anyways, yeah like okay the smoking was pre-existing but the illness? Wouldn't that just be a new diagnosis? Idk but it made me incredibly angry, we liked to never have found insurance that would help pay the 200k dollar medical bills from all the surgeries she needed to save her life but thank God we did.

Sorry I went on a little rant there lol. But insurance companies make me so mad, how can you choose between saving someone's life or not...

Also further about the dental, I was always told CHEWING tobacco was bad for your mouth and teeth but I only heard like 4 or 5 times in my entire life that smoking could just cause bad breath I mean, there wasn't anything I really heard other than the lung cancer repeatedly... Dental insurance should NEVER have been determined by being an EX or a current smoker. Especially an EX, because it takes tremendous courage to quit smoking. 

That just brings me to another question, so do Dental Insurance and regular medical Insurance people just all consider every illness related to smoking pre-existing because of the past history of smoking? What happens to people who get lung cancer but need to get on insurance because they can't pay for treatment on their own? 

I'm telling you, this world can be a very messed up and scary place!

elvan

I was not aware of the risks to my teeth until it was too late & l needed multiple extractions. I was an RN, l knew about lung cancer, COPD, circulatory issues but not dental. 
l think it is terrible for people to be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Those costs that people cannot pay end up getting rolled into hospital charges of $24 for a Tylenol or something similar. It all ends up getting paid for one way or another. 
Ellen