cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lorelai

I'm ready, but scared...

Hi everyone. I'm Lorelai. I'm 41, soon to be 42, and have been a habitual smoker since 1982.
I need to quit. I WANT to quit, but I'm already freaking out about it. My biggest reason is my
little boy. I'm already an older Mom. I'd love to see him grow up to be a man, but I definitely won't
be able to if I continue to smoke. It is beginning to affect my health and I get so damn frustrated
with myself that this thing runs my life.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
wendy8

Hi Lorelai,
I'm quitting this Friday. I've quit before and have gone back to smoking, but I don't count them as failures. I know being smoke-free is something I want, but that for me, it may take a few times before it sticks. So I'll keep trying. I'm 39 and have been smoking since I was 16., so If eel like we've been smoking for roughly the same amount of time, and sounds like you're in the same place I'm at - my body is telling me "enough" At this stage in my life, it's seems more like a relief than a sacrifice. I think the best thing to do is set a date and see what happens. That's what I'm doing. Good luck.
0 Kudos
lorelai

Thank you!! I am very proud of my little guy and I said when I logged on the first time that he is my inspiration. He really is.
The same goes for me if you need someone to lean on. All of us want the same thing and it sure won't be easy. Who ever came
up with the idea for this site should get a Nobel Peace Prize or something!! Nobody understands what we're up against like we do!!
0 Kudos
lorelai

Well, darlin my thoughts are going to be with you on Friday. I really hope you do this. I used to think that it was going to take me a
few tries as well, but I don't know that I have that option now. I have been sick constantly since October with one sinus infection after
another, as well as infections in my throat and ears and one nasty bout of bronchitis. When I first decided, okay, I'm done with this,
I decided to try Chantix. Then I got scared off of it and thought I'd do the patch. Well, this past Friday I picked up my starter kit of
Chantix from the pharmacy and set my quit date for 5/5. I decided that some nightmares and nausea were worth it if the stuff works
and I've read from a lot of members that it worked or is working for them. We'll see what goes on. Stay in touch with me and let me
know how your doing or if you just need to vent. That's why we're all here!
0 Kudos
twlghtangel

hi i'm in your shoes also ,,want to quit so bad,,but have failed everytime.. i need all the help i can get,,any suggestions,, i did the chantix the patch the inhalers,,the pills,, and cold trukey,,failed everytime ,,but willing to try again,,maybe this site will help
0 Kudos
lorelai

this is going to sound totally weird, but my sister-in-laws mom was a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker for years. one day she
went to a hypnotist just to see if it might help her. that was 16 years ago. she has never smoked again or even wanted to.
just a thought...
0 Kudos