cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tibbetsethan

Will Nicotine Replacement Products Raise Blood Pressure Still Like Vaping?

I have high blood pressure because of years of nicotine abuse and I know that nicotine replacement products still have nicotine in them. Will it raise my blood pressure as much as vaping will? I vaped 6mg and I am using 4mg nicotine gum every 1-4 hours depending on cravings and not time. Wondering if it has as much of an effect as vaping constantly.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. I wish I could answer the question for you.  I would suggest that you contact your personal medical professional to get much better and proper advice. We will assist you as much as possible. I am sure we could easily look it up on the internet and get an answer but I think your personal doctor would know more about it for you.  

JACKIE1-25-15

Ask the doctor: Can a nicotine patch boost my blood pressure? - Harvard Health  Heis something I found.  You can research here or on line.

tibbetsethan

Thank you JACKIE1-25-15 Thank You my doctor is out of town right now because of COVID cases breaking out in my town. He had to go to the capital for special training. But as soon as he gets back I'll talk to him. Also he might be gone for a while so I don't know by then i may be over the effects but who knows. Plus, I think from what I've learned from you great people on the forum and articles also, when you are taking the NRT, you are using waaaaay less nicotine then constantly puffing on cigarettes or ecigs. I appreciate you and everyone else on this forum, you guys are so supportive and helpful! Bless!

JACKIE1-25-15

Do you have a nurse that you can contact.  My insurance allows me to call an online nurse for help. 

Barbscloud

There are lots of articles on the web about this, so you could research those until your doctor returns.  I read a number of them  didn't find any indicating it's a major concern.  Be sure to follow the directions. 

Barb

elvan

This is a really good question. I never used any NRT’s but l have nothing against them, l will be really interested in what you find out.

tyndallgw

Tibbetsethan, nicotine definitely raises blood pressure by causing the walls of blood vessels to constrict.  This can easily be found in a number of articles on line.  The question then becomes are you taking in more nicotine now with the NRT than you were with vaping.  If vaping is anything like smoking, you get a very high level of nicotine in your blood stream within the first few minutes, but it then drops off rather rapidly (something like 20 minutes).  In contrast, the NRT takes longer to get into you blood stream, but then also stays longer.  It is entirely possible that you are getting a higher average nicotine level with the NRT.  I will try to find the time dependence plots referenced above and post later if I find them. 

tyndallgw

Tibbetsethan,  plot of blood nicotine level vs time for smoking a cigarette vs chewing 2mg nicotine gum.

pastedImage_1.png

tibbetsethan

Thank you all so much for your replies, you have been so informative and helpful. JACKIE1-25-15‌ so sorry I wasn't able to reply for so long, I was out all day. Also tyndallgw‌ you bring up very interesting information. I can see it stays in your system longer and more stable but it is nothing like say a hit from a cigarette or even SNUS. I use the 4mg but I can see regardless it's still the same idea. I doubt it just randomly would make my blood pressure go up then because usually mine is I'll take a hit of vape or smoke a cigarette and then my blood pressure just raises out of control. Also, today I have actually felt better health wise than I have in a long time even though I am still in nicotine withdrawals (Day 2) kind of weird how that works. Thank you once again all for being so kind. Much appreciated!