cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

zaxa11

I discovered something to take my mind off smoking...

Good afternoon.  My hands are shaking so bad...I hope I get this out.  It's make-up.  I usually only use it if I'm going to an appointment or to my volunteer job.  But I find taking fifteen minutes out of my morning, with a cup of coffee, to put make-up on is very relaxing.  And I know no matter how nervous I am, how my breathing is, how the animals are doing, I have this time where thoughts of smoking just don't enter the picture.

So if you have found a little something that brightens your day...and others, please share.  I am very interested in knowing.  The more distractions I have the better.

I will be watching this and other posts throughout the day.

Thanks so much,

Zaxa

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

My go-to has ALWAYS been some form of movement, whether it's marching in place, going for a walk, out in my yard to do a chore or to pick flowers for my table or freshen birdbath water, or doing a YouTube chair yoga, or a set of stairs, or the motions of a jumping jack (without actually jumping), or  swinging in my swing (yep - I have one hung from an old oak).  Just getting outside and looking at the sky and clouds works for me, too.

But, then again, I am happiest outdoors! 

tyndallgw

My go-to has been reading.....a book chapter, news articles, Bible verses...anything and everything.

elvan

Exercise helps, even if it is just a little for a short time.  I ALWAYS came to EX and read, in fact, I was late to work more than once because I was reading blogs and comments.  I had to make myself not get on until I was ready to go so I could just get up and leave instead of having to get ready AFTER I already realized I was late.  Weather permitting, I would go out on my deck and pet our feral cat and take several slow deep breaths.  Mornings were a challenge but not for long...evenings took over but I was ALWAYS on here after work.

Ellen

indingrl

When a crave hits bite into a lemon peel and all - it will BUST that crave and bring you into the MOMENT and then come and blog BEFORE you take that first puff over you - just SHARING the love and it works

Cousin-Itt

I got my turntable up and running about 2 months into my quit  and started playing music I grew up with  Can't crave when your singing I also taught myself how to play the harmonica.    It's great for my lungs  

I also have a bird feeder and humming bird feeder that I can see thru my window. Of course the humming birds will b leaving shortly but a lot of birds stay for the winter    

These are things I enjoy    Find a couples things you like it does make a difference

Forgot to mention taking walks with Joyce my wife 

elvan

Forgot music, crank it up and sing along or dance like no one is watching!

Glad you found something rewarding and distracting - win win! I've always enjoyed a good book and being out in nature. Walking, gardening, or just sitting for a bit. 

sweetplt

Great idea zaxa11 Thank you for sharing...Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 660 DOF