cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SuzyQ411

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

The Platters : Memories of community sock hops; dancing with my "steady"; thoughts of root beer floats; summer nights with soft breezes; the belief that summer would never end and the new school year was forever away.

Anyone else have any other thoughts to add?

18 Replies
sweetplt

Oh how nice Suzy SuzyQ411 I must tell you the feel of fall weather in the air...takes me back to summer ending and catching fireflys in the evening and school starting after Labor Day....wearing new shoes my mom bought....nervous and excitement of the upcoming year...yeah, memories very strong this time of year...wondering where the years went and the simpler days compared to all that is going on in this world...Happy Saturday ~ Colleen 642 DOF 

SuzyQ411

sweetplt

Yes, Colleen, fall is in the air, In fact, I can almost taste it. The Platters' song I posted above (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes) was only one of a long list of my favorites; their harmony was fantastic! It was actually re-posted from a Facebook message I received. And I never even thought about it's being smoking related!! Like you, I have no idea where all the years have gone. In fact, it was 61 autumns ago that I started my senior year of high school. YIKES! Yes, the times were much simpler then, for sure!! 

YoungAtHeart

I remember the excitement of Friday night dances (we had them in most high school/middle school gyms) , and meeting new boys, and dancing a slow dance with one who became a significant part of my life.  One of them owned a convertible, and I remember being picked up for school in the Fall with its top down, and the smell of Double Bubble Gum. 

I remember going to the Senior's smoking area (yep - there was one at school) and catching up with friends, and the chill in the air as Fall progressed.

AH, GOOD memories......shame a lot of them included smoking - it was a given in those days.

SuzyQ411

YoungAtHeart

Hey Nancy, I had totally forgotten Dubble Bubble gum. I can't remember if we were allowed to smoke in class -- I really don't think we were -- but I remember the challenges for who could blow the biggest bubble!! And yes, the seniors could smoke outside~ Never rode in a convertible but I do recall that once I became a senior my Dad let me ride in cars with boys so I no longer had to sneak about... ( I was a teenage handful, looking back)....

0 Kudos
Maki

The platters and memories for sure . 

Dances yup 

I wrote a song last year about those good old days your speaking of . 

Thanks for the tunes . 

SuzyQ411

Can we hear the song you wrote about those "good old days"? You are just so talented in so many areas Maki

Cousin-Itt

Once school started football games were a big thing on Friday night in high school.  The last week  of summer all of my friends would try to cram in as much as possible We would always hit the drive in one last time

SuzyQ411

Cousin-Itt

Ah yes, Carl, the drive in... another memory... and the concession stand that offered those rubbery hotdogs.. and of course, the football... Feels like yesterday to me...crazy!! We also had a neighborhood roller skating rink that was a geat teenage hangout~

elvan

Loved this time of year, school starting, new clothes, dances, seeing friends regularly after the summer ended. Going to games, sigh. SO long ago. We did NOT have a smoking lounge but l didn’t smoke back then, l DO remember the overwhelming smell of stale smoke when someone opened the door to the Teachers’ Lounge, YUCK!

Ellen