cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jordon622

Didn’t Make My Date

Hi all this is Jordon, first hope all are well. Next, I sat a quit date for this past Friday, July 25th I started my day with n good spirits ready and knowing this was it. I had even begun to give the remaining cigarettes away. However, on this day, around 9:40 am I received a call from my doctor confirming a recent biopsy I had taken results were in. They returned positive. I have breast cancer. Needless to say, my world stopped as I heard and processed the news. I immediately ran out and purchased a new pack of cigarettes. Bad decision, but an escape. Later that day I received another call from additional doctors to set up an appointment for a consultation. I informed the doctor what I had done and that this too was my chosen quit day. She stated that she understood that there was no perfect way to tell a person how to process such devastating news. She continued and said please try and get it out your system and to quit. Since Friday, I have been trying and praying even harder than ever to quit. I did very well yesterday. I went all day without a cigarette until I ate yesterday evening around 5 ish. To which at that time I prayed not to smoke but broke down. I started with a parcel cigarette. I puffed several times then put it out. It worked for a while until I became emotional and l lit the remainder of the cigarette. That few puffs end up being 3 1/2 more cigarettes. Ending with a total of 4. Again, this morning prayed to not smoke only to start early this morning with smoking a half then the remainder to date 4 more down. I Will continue praying harder then ever that my Heavenly Father will permanently take the taste and desire away for good this time. I have my consultation tomorrow morning and I ask that the EX family keep me in prayer as I will do all on BOTH my battles. Before I wrote this statement I almost did not because it’s so personal but I am happy I did. Maybe I will receive words of encouragement on both situations. Thank you in advance for hearing me out. Although there’s no good reason to smoke or continue smoking Friday as I inhaled and exhaled,  in my mind, I was blowing out hurt, pain, and anger the best way in the moment I knew how. Thank you 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Hi Jordan,

It's good to get out your feelings.  You will get there in your time.  I'm sorry about your results, but I have faith that god will see you through this.  Sometimes we have to change every part of ourselves in order to receive the outcomes we want.  That time may be now for you.  Don't let this positive result defeat your attitude, set another date soon, and try nicotine replacement.  Stopping cold turkey right now might be very hard, so make it a little easier on yourself and take smaller steps.  This community is here for you.  I extend my prayers and positive thoughts toward you for healing and peace.

Aaron 6 DOF

Barbscloud

Glad you came to the Ex to share.  I'm sorry hear about the diagnosis and certainly can understand why you smoked.  That's a scary thing to hear and it's a lot to handle on the same day.   Talk to your doctor and come up with a plan for your health and to quit smoking.  Quitting smoking can only be a positive for your health right now.

If you didn't do so already, create a quit plan.  I really helps knowing what to expect and being prepared.

Please let us know how your consultation goes and don't give up.  We're here to support you on your journey.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Barb  

sweetplt

Hi hon...I am so sorry about your news of breast cancer.  My mom is two time survivor and Doctor said one thing that greatly helped her was she wasn’t a drinker or a smoker.   Did you do the readings suggested in your other post? Also, talk to your Doctor and ask him/her to help you in this journey to quit smoking.  Just thinking, smoking didn’t change your diagnosis...it does nothing...Please keep close to us for support and help...we care and we care about your breast cancer.  Be sure to take someone alone with you to the presentation so you have more ears and eyes when the Doctor talks to you...don’t get overwhelmed ... all of this is “one step at a time”...sending you a cyber prayer...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Hi Jordan,

The good news is that every day is a potential quit day. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but am glad you came here to talk about it. 

Donna