cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisa-hamilton

anybody home?

The only experience, strength and hope I can offer today is that we have 12 steps to help us through this process and we have each other. Tomorrow is my day. I'll have my last cigarette tonight. After this, it's not an option!!!

I think it's interesting that Joel pointed out in his book that the bottom in this game is usually critical illness or impending death. I really don't want to go there.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sherri10

I Lisa,

I don't want to go there either. I had to do a lot of praying just to have the desire to quit. I wanted to live a healthier longer life, but I didn't want to quit smoking! Eventuallly I wanted to quit. Then I have to pray for the willingness. Then I had to wait! I have a medical condition that could be aggrivated by stopping nico. My doctor actually advised me to wait to quit until after the spring semester was over with. He wanted me to wait for a couple weeks after school let out. By the time school was out, I was chomping at the bit to quit!!!! But that doesn't mean it's been easy!

Write anytime!

Sherri
0 Kudos
tommy3

Hi Lisa,hang in there.Together we can do this.i am on day 3 and it does feel a little better.We`re with you.
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

Thank you so much for reminding me to pray for the willingness. It's something I've advised so many to do when they really get stuck. That's what I will do.
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

Thank You, Tommy. Nice to know you're there.
0 Kudos
sherri10

I just had an image of a guy with a shovel digging a grave with a big pile cigarette butts around the hole and one hanging out of his mouth.
0 Kudos
dan-dunn

Lisa I started praying for the willingness long before I stopped. It will come daily, and just know we are all here for you. Like the miracle of sobriety I honestly believe that we can have the same miracle with smoking. Hope that today is a great smoke free day for you.

Dan
0 Kudos
bonnie4

Hi all!
Day four without smoking and things are going well. I was really sick the first day so it was easy not to smoke. Day two was okay. There were moments when I really wanted one and got pissed off that I couldn't. Then I just remembered why I wanted to quit in the first place. The most important thing I did was throw all my cigs away. I was saving them to give to someone else, but that just made me think about it more. So I threw them all away. I'd rather waste the money than waste my life away smoking!!! Day three, went back to work and managed to avoid the people, places and things. I decided to start walking during my breaks so I am helping my body in two ways. Day four is dragging on and on at work, but I haven't thought about wanting to smoke. Just like using, I am approaching it as "Don't pick up no matter what!" and it's working for me. Lots of prayer and continuing to trust the process.
0 Kudos