cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

715 days since I quit

Well my friends I am almost at my 2 year mark and with all that's going on in the world and the daily struggles I have to deal with at home and at work, I just cannot believe that I just didn't say Frig It I'm Smoking.  I'll admit that I came close a few times when everything around me appeared Hopeless but, I made a promise to my dad on his birthday, July 15 2018, that I'd quit and Never pick up another cigarette again.  Quitting on dads birthday and making that promise is what kept me on track.  Now if I did slip up I would not only have disappointed myself but my dad as well who passed away last September.  Maybe a Promise to someone you love is a great way to stay focused; worked for me.

I know that I pop in an out of here but please know that I think of all of you and always feel thankful for your support, friendships and allowing me to vent from time to time.  You are all good for my soul.

With the virus running amok here in Florida and Florida becoming the epicenter of the virus I ask each of you to make a Promise to yourself and those you love to do what needs to be done to keep yourself and your loved one safe by doing what your local leaders ask of you and even if they don't.  I watch the news and saw that a family of 28 All have the virus because one or more slipped up, didn't wear a mask and didn't social distance. WE have to do our part even if our leaders Think it's just like the flu and will go away. It's not like any ordinary flu and it's not going away.  We've all made it this far quitting our habit and if we can do that we can stay healthy by following our own Rules for safety.

I'm going camping on Thursday for a 4th of July get-a-way and to relax and Yeah, have a lot of drinks but will still do what's right to be safe.  I wish all of you a great holiday weekend and I'll chat again when I get back.

Hugs and Safety,

Ralph

15 Replies
Barbscloud

In total agreement.  I'm out a little more, but not much.  Definitely avoiding crowds.  They just instituted a ban on alcoholic drinks in restaurants and bars because we've seen an increase in cases this past week, especially this past weekend.  They're blaming in on people traveling to areas with increases (beaches) and partying at bars.

Have a great time camping.  Sounds like fun.

Congrats on your continued success.

Barb (got my hair cut last week!)

Ralph1955

Our beaches will be closed for the 4th and IMO should have been closed all along.  It's sad to see so many people refusing to wear a mask.  We do so much for our safety (wear seatbelts, don't drink and drive, stop at traffic lights …) but a simple thing like wearing a mask so help is not obeyed, and I blame the government for that who will not make wearing masks mandatory. I wear one in public if/when I'm in a crowd and others aren't wearing one.  I was trapped inside for 7 weeks and refuse to live that way again so I've been back to going out to dinner with friends on Friday but making sure the restaurants are adhering to the rules or I won't go in.  Life has to go on.

sweetplt

Hi Ralph ... Congratulations on 715 days of Freedom...super job...I agree NMW we should do the best we can to keep ourselves and those around us safe.  I will say my hubs and I finally got to see my dad in his nursing home from his room window, it was hard that we couldn’t touch,  but other than his long hair he looks well and safe and still has his sense of humor, or course he has Alzheimer’s and doesn’t understand about the virus, but maybe that is good.  Anyways, people need to use common sense, but as always a few spoil it for all of us...I am glad you are going camping for July 4th and doing something fun and outdoorsy....enjoy the trip...oh btw my dad’s birthday is on July 16...great men born in July...Happy Monday...keep saying NOPE...Colleen 573 DOF 

Ralph1955

We see mom once a week.  She is in the cafeteria and we sit outside on the patio and speak on our phones but, it's not the same. The facility will be doing Hugs where we are in plastic coverings and we can Hug one another but again, not the same.  I am not optimistic that we'll be face to face anytime this year and each week that passes has mom going down.  This pandemic has so many sad reactions to it and I just want it to be over.

YoungAtHeart

indingrl

Ralph so glad for you 715 NON SMOKER living - WAY TO GO

YoungAtHeart

Have fun!  Enjoy your break.  You have certainly earned it!

"have a lot of drinks"  Well, Ralph, you KNOW what I have to say about that!  Maybe, just for me, you could limit that to one or two?  With everything going on in your life and lots of alcohol, it might seem like "just one" would be OK.  It isn't - you know that, but will you remember it if you are three sheets to the wind?  You CAN have fun without it, ya' know?

Nancy

Ralph1955

I'm a safe drinker so not to worry.  We'll be in a mobile home and no driving involved. Just going to enjoy my Bloody Mary's, sunbathe and just chill away the reality of the present

YoungAtHeart

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

(sorry for the HUGE!  Couldn't get the text to copy without  the pictures.  I am not shouting )

Bacon & eggs. Peanut butter & jelly. Cheese &…everything. There’s no denying it, some things are just better together. Unfortunately, cigarettes and alcohol make a pretty good match too, and that can make things difficult if you’re trying to quit smoking.

If you’re one of many who light up when you have a drink, you may be questioning whether you’ll be able to stay smoke-free on a night out. Well, although it might be another hurdle to overcome in your quit-smoking journey, there are plenty of strategies available to help you stay on track.

First though, it’s important to understand the relationship between cigarette smoking and alcohol use. So why exactly do they complement one another so well?

Nicotine offsets alcohol-induced drowsiness

In an attempt to determine the reason why so many people only smoke cigarettes when they drink alcohol, researchers discovered that the stimulant effect of nicotine can offset the drowsiness that so often results from a heavy drinking session, thanks to alcohol’s effect as a depressant.

Rather than calling it a night as the booze begins to induce a state of sleepiness, many people crave a boost of nicotine in order to stay alert and continue enjoying their evening.

They drain your bank balance

Smoke a pack a day? The cost adds up, right?

That’s a ton of money that could be put to so many better uses.

After just a few months of quitting you could have enough for a trip abroad. A few more and you might be one step closer to that car you’ve had your eye on.

You’re less likely to make rational decisions while drinking

You’ve been doing really well on your smoking cessation programme. It’s been a tough few weeks but you’ve managed to stay focused and overcome your nicotine cravings. You finally think you’ve cracked it but then on a night out, your mates head to the smoking area and rather than stay alone, you follow them outside.

If you were sober in this scenario, while it could still be really tricky, your self-control would probably kick in and you’d go and get a round of drinks in, or find another way to remove yourself from the situation. But since you’ve already had a few and you’re feeling a bit tipsy, those rational thoughts seem to be fading into the background. That’s because consuming alcohol, even in moderate amounts, can have a significant effect on your cognitive behaviour and mental health.

Although alcohol acts as a depressant, shortly after having a drink, levels of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine increase in the brain. Elevated norepinephrine is associated with impulsivity and arousal, meaning there’s a higher risk you’re swayed by the offer of a cigarette as you won’t be thinking about the consequences or the risk factors.

In addition, when you drink, activity in an area of the brain called the prefrontal cortex decreases. That’s the region responsible for rational thinking and decision making. So, if that’s being dampened, it’s easy to see how lighting up might not seem like such a bad idea in that particular moment in time.

Nicotine tricks your brain into thinking smoking is a positive behaviour

Our brains have evolved to reward us for behaviours that promote our health and well-being, and increase the appeal of activities that we associate with these behaviours.

Although smoking is destructive and can have serious negative health effects, nicotine in cigarette smoke has the ability to cut-off and disrupt the normal behaviour learning process, and ‘trick’ the brain into thinking that smoking is a positive action. As a result, if you’re engaging in an activity that reminds you of smoking — such as drinking with friends in a bar — those activities can act as cues that drive an urge to start smoking.

A vicious cycle

In fact, alcohol use is one of the major causes of relapse in those who have previously quit smoking. All the hard work that has been put in during the quitting process can then so easily be put in jeopardy.

And while drinking alcohol may increase the urge to smoke, the bad news is smoking can also increase the urge to drink more too. That’s why many heavy drinkers are at an increased risk of being addicted to nicotine too.

The good news is that if you have an excessive alcohol intake, or regularly engage in binge drinking activities, quitting cigarette smoking can help you to lower your alcohol dependence. As a result, you’ll then also reduce your risk of developing alcohol-related health problems (e.g. alcohol poisoning).