cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Weazzie

Pain & Quitting

Day 1.

I’ve smoked my entire life. Started in the womb and haven’t completely quit yet. I was six when I started to carry my own packs. I’m 48 now and tried Chantix. It was working, I actually stopped smoking for 7 weeks. My insurance stopped paying for it and I started again.  
I’d really like to quit but can’t for more than a single day now on my own. I was severely injured about 10 yrs ago.  My pain levels are constant between 7 & 9 on a daily basis. 
Is it even possible for me to think I could quit now?

I’d appreciate any help,

6 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Weazzie 

First, yes it is possible to quit smoking...many of us smoked 40 years and more and quit smoking.  You came here and you want to quit, that is 1/2 the battle.  I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you will plan an actual quit date (usually two weeks from now), then you will gain knowledge on addiction, quitting smoking, and your triggers.  Then you will come here and ask lots of questions and read blogs.  You will plan for your quit date like no other.  Having in place all the things that will help you keep the quit.  The night before you quit smoking throw all your smoking items ... and then you quit ... You can do this, it takes hard work ... we are here to help...you just have to say NO to the craves, do other healthy things in place of smoking (take a walk, watch a movie, take a shower, etc.,)...Now get working...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 513 DOF

Ps...sorry about your injury and pain...do you go to pain management?  Smoking is not helping your pain...so this will be a benefit of the quit...

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I found this article about chronic pain and quitting smoking:  https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-smoking-will-worsen-your-chronic-pain/.  Read more here to better understand why it is NOT in your best interest going forward.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You did not mention if you are using a quit aid (Rx or NRT).  I will give you my thoughts on them in case you are.   I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for obvious reasons.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves. Even slow, deep breaths work, going slower and deeper with each. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Cousin-Itt

There are safer and better ways of putting nicotine in your body than smoking and destroying your lungs. Have you tried nicotine lozenges or gum

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  They're are often offers for different medications that people can't afford.  Below are some options for Chantix.

So, don't give up.   Remember the money you're spending on cigarettes can be used for quit smoking aids.

Savings Tip #2: Save as much as $75 per month with a savings card

Manufacturer Pfizer offers a savings card to help reduce out-of-pocket costs to as little as $40 per fill.

Chantix Savings Card
Program websitewww.chantix.com/support-for-taking-chantix/chantix-savings
Phone number1-800-746-4678
ManufacturerPfizer
How much can I save?You can save up to $75 per fill, after a $40 out-of-pocket expense.
How do I get the discount?Register online. Then, print your card and bring it with you to the pharmacy when you pick up your prescription.
Are there any restrictions?This card is for both insured and uninsured individuals. Keep in mind that you will pay more without commercial insurance.

While this is a good option, especially for those who pay high out-of-pocket costs for Chantix, there is debate surrounding the long-term effects of copay cards. Critics of these cards claim that they drive insurance premiums up, mask manufacturer price hikes, and discourage the use of cost-effective generics.

Savings Tip #3: Apply for a patient assistance program

Uninsured, low income patients may be able to get Chantix for free with the Pfizer RxPathways program.

Pfizer RxPathways Patient Assistance Program
Program websitehttps://www.pfizerrxpathways.com/
Phone number1-877-744-5675
ManufacturerPfizer
How much can I save?Your prescription may be free if you qualify.
How do I get the discount?Download and fill out your part of the application. Then, ask your doctor to help you submit it.
Are there any restrictions?You will need a valid prescription and proof of your gross monthly household income. Contact the program to see if you are eligible.

Savings Tip #4: Speak to your doctor about prescription workarounds

If the above options don’t work for you, speak with your doctor about other ways to save. Your doctor may talk to you about getting a prescription for a higher-dose pill (which you can cut in half to save on cost), filling a 90-day supply (which can be cheaper than a 30-day supply) or getting free samples

If want to try NRT you may be able to obtain free nicotine patches.

1-800-QUIT-NOW.

Barb

maryfreecig

If you did it before you can do it again. I'm sorry about the pain you are suffering with. I hope that that too is something that can be better addressed. Stick with Ex. This community is here for you 365.

elvan

Welcome to EX, you’ve gotten some great advice. I can certainly relate to severe chronic pain, my pain level is regularly 8.5. I had many failed quits in the past & l used to say that if l could get my pain under control, l KNEW l could quit. I honestly believed that. I smoked for 47 years & have now been quit for over six. I did not use any nicotine replacement. I got really sick & had to choose between smoking & breathing. I had been quit for about a week before l became active on EX. That first week is kind of a blur because l was so sick. Once l came here, l came every morning & every evening & l read everything that was recommended & l read blogs, l commented, l asked for advice & l took it when it was offered. People here were & ARE incredibly supportive & they just might tell you something you already know...smoking really does NOT help with pain. It distracts you from the pain while you feed the addiction. Once l completely accepted the fact that smoking really did nothing FOR me, only TO me, it really was easier to stay quit. My breathing will never recover from the damage smoking did but l will no longer feed the addiction or listen to the lies it tells. Pay attention to the advice you have been given & understand that quitting is the BEST gift you will ever give yourself. Quitting is a journey but you do not have to travel alone.

Best to you,

Ellen