cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Swanbird

Longgg Days

I woke up this morning, drank my coffee, seem kind of tired today and then just about the third thing that came into my mind is another long day today.  It really stinks to be thinking of the struggle I will endure even at day 87.  It's not like I am craving one like I use to it just seems to be there. Some days are worse than others as you all know but the struggle is there and I can tell today is going to be a long day!

12 Replies
AnnetteMM

When all else fails, there's always TV. If you have cable, the Paramount channel is running all the Ocean's movies today.

YoungAtHeart

Exercise is a GREAT mood booster and day chaser.  Go for a long, long walk.  As you go, really LOOK at the buds on the trees (I hope they are there in your neck of the woods), count the daffodils you see, admire the shape of the tree branches, count the number of cars that go by you.  Just don't think about smoking because you have decided not to do that anymore, so what's the point to THAT?  Swing your arms, get that dopamine flowing!

If you can't get out, clean out a closet or a drawer, spend some time looking at photographs, write a letter you have been meaning to write, or do some jumping jacks or a few sets of stairs.  Then start at the beginning of the list and do them all AGAIN.  Idle hands are the devil's workshop!

Even though the craves aren't there, you are still learning how to live your life as an ex-smoker.  There is no "friend" to help you wile away the hours.  Find NEW ways to do it - it's part of the journey!

Nancy

Barbscloud

What else did you normally do when you were smoking?   Can you find some substitutes?   It's not easy.  It does take time to start feeling "normal".   My life saver was keeping busy,  walking and spending time on the Ex.  NML can be harder for some than other's, but you will get to the other side.   Be proud of your success--you earned it.

Barb

Barbara145

It took a while for me to work through all those stuffed emotions.  I was also still grieving the loss of cigarettes.  It all takes time, just give it time.  There is power in positive thinking  You are thinking negatively this morning.  Watch your thoughts.  Congrats on 87 days.  You are doing great.

Bonnie

I lost many a quit during the "threes":  Third day, third week, third month.  I don't know why, but it happened enough that I noticed.  You're almost through your third month--NINETY DAYS IS A HUGE MILESTONE!  You're almost there...what are you going to do to celebrate this MASSIVE accomplishment?  I recommend you reward yourself generously.  
Something to look forward to, something you deserve, and something to think about if today indeed turns out to be one of "those days".  Those days will continue to happen, even back-to-back, but they will happen less and less. I GUARANTEE IT!

indingrl

to YOU - just SHARING - YOU can break YOUR day down by this half hour OR take it 5 minutes at a TIME - doing something YOU enjoy just for YOU - CONGRATS on YOUR days of FREEDOM - I am so glad for YOU

maryfreecig

Hello Swanbird! Congratulations on staying smober 87 and on long days too. One step then another might be trudgery at times, but as you don't smoke and you trudge you are building a stronger mind and body. Yes you can.

Swanbird

Thank you all for the support!  I won't smoke I'm just sick of wanting to lol!

YoungAtHeart

So - DON'T want to!  You are far enough along in your quit that the want is only psychological and it IS within your power to change.  Stop thinking you want a cigarette!  Sound simple?  It IS!  The less you let your mind dwell on it, the weaker and further apart those thoughts will become - really!

Retrain your brain.  I had to do that after a bad romance break-up when it seemed I was constantly trying to figure out "why."  I decided enough of the misery was enough, and made up my mind to yell "STOP" every time those ruminations started in again  And it worked.  Scared the beejesus out of my cat a few times when she was lying on my chest when I was getting ready to go to sleep, but it worked!  It stopped the thoughts in their tracks and allowed me to redirect them.  Took a bit of self discipline - but it did work.  After a bit, I was not running it nonstop through my brain and I eventually decided I was never going to know  - and it was OK for that to be true.

Your thoughts are one thing in your life over which you have total control.  Exert it!