cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mflavin6

Quitter flu?

Hello all.

I am now on day 5 of no nicotine [ecig]. I am trying to determine if what I am experiencing is common/quitters flu. 

I am feeling a massive amount of pressure in my head. Making me almost feel intoxicated metaphorically speaking. In the morning when I wake up I'm extremely sensitive to light. My back and body are sore all day. Throat hurts but only when coughing. Having hot and cold bouts during the night/having trouble sleeping. Is this all normal?

Started midway through my 3rd day. And hoping it doesn't last very long as I have already taken 2 days off work. 

6 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Cough, irritability, sore throat, headache, fatigue, insomnia plus it felt like my bones hurt

Make sure you are not running a fever 

mflavin6

I have a low grade fever - 99.0 and at it's worst was 100.5 - but that was when I woke up not realizing I covered myself with 4 blankets in the night.  (Generally I only sleep with a thin sheet otherwise I overheat as my body runs hot).  My partner sleeps with 4 blankets on every night so if I turn over or she does comes close to me there's always a chance I'll get covered.  After getting up and out of bed my 100 fever typically drops to 99.0 or even 98.8.)

I have read through some sources that a low grade fever can be normal - but that seems to be very hit and miss from various sources.  Some say a small fever is fine and normal - others say if you have a mild fever you are actually sick.  Just trying to figure out what is actually going on.  Also ideally don't want to have to tell a doctor about quitting/vaping just yet -as I don't want my insurance premiums to rise if they don't have to.  

Cousin-Itt

I'm have no medical back ground but my belief is if you have a fever you're actually sick. I'd see you doctor 

sweetplt

I felt physically sick my first couple of weeks when I quit smoking.  However, I never really started feeling better so I went to the Doctors and I had a sinus infection and went into an upper respiratory infection.  That being said, if your sick continues, I would see my Doctor to be safe then sorry...because I waited I ended up sick for almost 2 months.  We are not medical people...Keep us posted....~ Colleen 460 DOF

Btw Congratulations on 5 days of Freedom...

Barbscloud

Congrats on 5 days smoke free.  It seems many quitters have harsher side effects than others.  Unfortunately we can'd diagnosis.   I couldn't find anywhere that smoker's flu including a fever.  If you're not feeling better, play it safe and check with your physician.  Keep moving forward on your journey.  It can take a while, but give your body the time it needs to heal.

Barb

0 Kudos
Kdot1st

Hi, congratulations on 5 days. I'll have 5 days tomorrow after slipping after 4 days earlier this week & starting over. 

I have all those symptoms but also had them before my quit so I figured it's my allergies. Plus pollen counts been high. I get them every year about this time. Hoping it doesn't go into bronchitis this time since I'm not smoking. 

I've always been told that it's not a fever unless it's over 100 & not to take anything to lower it until it gets higher. 

I also run hot & have had some chills lately though. I figured it's because I have a whole lot of extra body insulation. 

Maybe if it gets worse you could check with your dr. without disclosing your quit. I haven't told my dr. either. 

0 Kudos