cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

obrienp

Smoking while drinking and socializing

What's the best method to decline a smoke when out socializing and drinking?  I find this is the hardest part of quitting. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbscloud

"I don't do that anymore"   This phrase has helped many of us keep our quits on a daily basis.

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You might want to watch the drinking.  If you must drink, it's a good idea to limit yourself to just one.  When your brain is muddled, it's more difficult to remain committed and it's easier for you to believe "just one won't hurt."  It will ALWAYS, maybe not right away but always, lead to another and another until you are right back where you started -  back at Day One of your quit.

Scientists at the University of Missouri believe we crave cigarettes when drinking alcoho because nicotine is a stimulant. In theory, this means that nicotine can counteract the feeling of sleepiness we sometimes get when drinking alcohol.

To put a damper on any smoke offers, you might simply say, "No thanks. I quit!"

Be careful out there!  A quit is a terrible thing to lose.

green1611

Say No to smoking firmly. You may feel uneasy initially. Because there is urge deep inside still to say yes to such offer.

Stay on quit, avoid alcohol, and after some time, you will confidently say..No thanks. I quit smoking since ... 

0 Kudos