cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dasher13

What really works?

What is really the most helpful aid to quit smoking and how can I use it to assist me with self discipline. After suffering a stroke my impulse control is seemingly nonexistent. Cigarettes don’t give me a feeling of escape, they actually disgust me after 3 years, my body just wants one so I have one. Will I need counseling to help with cravings or is it just mental? Nicotine patches and gum haven’t helped, is there something with better results?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AnnetteMM

Find something that gives you more pleasure than smoking. Try amazingly great aromas, like incense or candles. Focus all your attention on a new hobby, maybe like crocheting.  Other ideas:/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=a2f3... 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s dasher13 

I am so glad you found our site.  I am sorry about your stroke.  Your health is definitely suffering and good you are quitting smoking.  Honestly, this is my 3rd and last quit and I found Planning and Knowledge helped, read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and Hardwork...the self talk of no longer needing the smokes.  Lastly, coming to the support site daily and reading blogs and helping others on this journey...all of these were my aids...we are here to help, keep close...

You can do it...~ Colleen 454 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

It's probably more than one thing.   In addition to using aids for this quit, it was understanding nicotine addiction and having a quit plan.  I've picked a  date in the past and entered into quitting without knowledge and preparation.  So invest the time by reading posts to educate yourself and create your plan.  What are you going to when you have a craving?   Prepare by learning new associations instead of smoking?

There are different nicotine replacement therapies, medication (Chantix, and Welbutrin) , or cold turkey.  It's what works for you.  If you choose to use an aid, you still have to do the work.  They're meant to help get you through early withdrawal, but the work you put into quitting is what makes the difference.    And importantly, for me was finding this site before I quit.  Having the support of other quitters has been priceless.   We're here for you, so just reach out.

It's not easy.  Be willing one day at at time. 

Barb

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

We are all unique and so we also create unique quits that are built around our skills, talents, goals...etc.

First know that you can, indeed, quit.  Then make a plan.  What will you do instead of smoking?  Everything from blowing bubbles to saving for your dream vacation....you get to choose what you want!!  Read all the posts here you can as they all are helpful for quitting . NRTs can help but they can't quit for you so remember they are only a tool to be used, not a magic formula for an 'easy' quit.  Your quit is yours to journey through . Please consult your doctor, as well.  Professional support is important when you've had health issues.

0 Kudos
elvan

I smoked for 47 years & made many attempts to quit but this site & all of the support & education that l got from here, turned me around. The psychological addiction is extremely powerful not to be dismissed. I have more than 6 years of freedom now but l sure did a whole lot of damage when l kept smoking. Quitting is not easy & no ONE or no THING is going to change that. You need education, support,  & commitment not to smoke, NO MATTER WHAT!

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Attach yourself to Ex. Exers are here everyday. Blog and comment as you wish. This is a community that will surround you with support if you want it too. Also quitting is done one day at a time, no more than that. Trying to feel great right away doesn't usually happen. It can. But not often--this is why smoking is called an addiction. So, make Ex your daily bread and relearn life with out nicotine/smoking one step at a time.