cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

zoer

advice for crying please | 2

I'm 24 days smoke free after 45 years. I'm using the patch. I find myself crying a lot lately, more now than in the beginning. I feel if I just go ahead and smoke it will stop, but I medically have to stay a non smoker this time. Does anyone have any advice for me? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cousin-Itt

When quitting smoking you experience both physical and emotional withdraw symptoms. Not only the nicotine withdraw can make you feel depressed but for 45 years you have been covering / hiding you emotions in smoke. I would Consult  your Doctor to see if he or she can help.  Until then surround yourself with those whom you have fun with. Take walks do things that make you feel relaxed.  The thing that helped me a lot is getting lost in music. 

Remember smoking helps nothing       and    It does get better

Carl

maryfreecig

Cry. Go ahead and cry. Don't teach yourself to smoke rather than cry. And if you continue not to smoke, the crying will come to an end. Exercise is a good way to get out of your head--for anyone of us to get out of just thinking about something. Go to the gym, take a walk. But remember it is one day at a time. 

And Ex is here 365--always something to read, comment on, learn by, or just soak in. What ever you do, keep moving forward, you won't be disappointed. 

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life  by Marilyn

/blogs/oldbones-larry/2019/07/01/the-smithy by Larry

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... by Jackie

elvan

I answered on the other post, it’s okay to cry, to feel, you are experiencing some growing pains. You are not alone.

Ellen

Barbara145

Crying is a good thing.  It is a release.  I bet you have a whole lot of unshed tears from stuffing your emotions while you were a smoker.  I know I did.  Let "em rip  You are doing great.

nwtw

Hi Zoer, I am in a similar situation to you - I am 26 days smoke free after 35+ years of smoking.  I agree with the comments about us managing our emotions with cigarettes.  Of course we did that.  If you are like me, you grew up with cigarettes, and learned how to be an adult and manage all the emotions that come with that with cigarettes at your side.  Since I quit, I have also felt a lot of stronger emotions than I expected.  But the good news is that while the bad times may be feeling harder for now, the good times are too.  And I can more clearly feel the positive effects of exercise on my mood.  I am not sure if you can exercise right now, but I am betting that meditation or other mindfulness exercises may have the same effect.  If you can exercise, do!  I took a spin class yesterday and felt high (happy) for the rest of the morning.  If you need to cry, then do that.  You are grieving and saying goodbye to something you thought was your friend.  I am rooting for you (and me) to get out of this cave and into the sunlight eventually.  I know that we will get there, but only if we don't smoke again!

angelpar

You have been smoking for so long.  It is going to take time for you to adjust and the emotion are normal.  It is perfectly fine to cry.  It cleanses you.  Make sure you have an emotional support system, this website is part of it.  The addiction to cigarettes is a lot more emotion than physical.  Make sure you follow patch instructions and do the wean down.  I am giving you a virtual hug.  Hugs make a world of difference.  Allow yourself to go through emotions and crying it is ok.  

0 Kudos