cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

catsalvano

Can I have a drink?

So this is my second weekend smoke free. I would really like to enjoy a glass of wine after my crazy week with work - family - and not smoking. Any tips? Or should I completely avoid it ?

12 Replies
maryfreecig

Do you simply have a glass of wine? Or do you drink to feel really, really, really good? If you can do without, and a drink, a small glass of wine means nice but not essential -- then follow your gut. 

Nancy has a lot to say about this and wrote a blog posted today. Did you see it?

YoungAtHeart

I would not recommend alcohol this early in your quit.  A short, brisk walk, marching in place, or dancing/singing to your favorite tunes are some alternatives to help relieve the stress.  Half  a glass of wine would be a better idea if you absolutely, positively MUST drink alcohol. Be sure to have your quit mantra handy!  Alcohol can lessen your resolve - pure and simple.  That voice that may tell you that "just one will be OK" is lying.  There is never such a thing as "just one" to an addict.  It will always, maybe not right away but always, lead to another, then another until you are back where you started.  This site is littered with quits lost due to alcohol consumption.  I would hate to add yours to the tally!

Nancy

catsalvano

You know it’s kind of funny- I’m so glad I posted this because I think subconsciously I knew it was a bad idea and this just enforced it. Thank you!!!! There’s no reason I can’t wait. 

sweetplt

Good you came here first and made a good decision...Happy Saturday ~ Colleen 446 DOF 

Great Quititude! These little sacrifices are sooo worth it!

elvan

Good job! Protect that quit!

Ellen

Bellegonia

When I quit I gave up alcohol. If memory serves I went 2 weeks, maybe 3 without it. In my psyche I had figured that if I drank I would HAVE to smoke, right? Because the egg got laid before the chicken? Ha ha or some such nonsense. I never ever pictured myself as being able to drink w/o a cancer stick. And when I did pop open a beer... wow! I didn't reach for any smokes. I didn't cry like a baby that I needed one with the other. N.O.P.E.

That's one of the signs I knew that I had turned a corner. I was home, there was no one to bum a smoke off of and I was in a "good" place. No stress triggers.

Now, over a year later... out at a bar or tavern I whiff that nasty-ness and say a silent prayer.

Thank you, God, for giving me the clarity to want to save my life.

There is sooooooo much mental masturbation about quitting that now that I'm on the back side of the hill and cruising to a healthier me, I realize it was all in my head. I could have used drinking as an excuse to relapse. I could have used a stressful time at work or in my personal life as a reason to go back.

Once and for all, I made a decision. No excuses.

N.O.P.E.

You will know in your heart when you can drink again if you want. The Elders are right - PROTECT YOUR QUIT.

Hugs,

Belle

Swanbird

I lost a quit after having a glass of wine.  It was too soon for me.  Now I replaced wine with something else because wine was a trigger for me.  I seem not to associate the new drink I have with a cigarette so that's quite helpful.

green1611

Perhaps....

After a glass of wine, you will ask yourself can I have a cigarette, enjoy a glass of wine after my crazy week with work - family - and just one cigarette smoking.

Avoid Alcohol .. thats good step for quitting smoking.