cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Swanbird

Oral Addiction

Oral addiction....I am at almost Day 50 and still seem to have the oral addiction of wanting to have something in my mouth even more than a cigarette. How long does this last in general and has anyone else experiences this.  I am eating alot of cinnamon gum, suckers, lemon drop, cinnamon drops and on occasion nic gum. 

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Just as every person is unique, so is every quit journey.  You might try including things that aren't sugar and take a bit longer, like maybe celery or carrot sticks (add some low cal dip for a bit more flavor), or even frozen grapes.  Sugar is a bit addicting, as well, so you might be needing things to satisfy THAT!   You also might try flavored toothpicks (you can buy cinnamon flavor and also make your own by soaking in orange juice or lemonade and letting them dry).  

Straws cut into cigarette lengths are something else you can chew on or use to breathe in air. 

Congrats on 50 days!!!  You are halfway to the TDC (Triple Digit Club)!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Everyone is different Swanbird ...I had the same feelings, but I think they got less and less as I got closer to 100 days quit...I drink water constantly, that became my oral addiction...hang in there hon...~ Colleen 428 DOF 

0 Kudos
Swanbird

Hood to know I’m almost half way to 100!

Suzanne Swanson

Sent from my iPhone

PastTense

You and me both, Swanbird

I'm not proud of the wad of gum I have in my mouth non-stop. 

I got an insulated cup for work that I refill with water and sip from a straw.  That is the closest thing to smoking I have found.  As long as it isn't M&Ms, I figure we are ahead of the game.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Swanbird

Haha thank you!!!!

Suzanne Swanson

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Chew on straws.  It really can help.   

Barb

0 Kudos
indingrl

Suckers work best for ME - just SHARING what works for ME - hand to mouth aka thumb sucking cuz I ain't getting MY way in MY DAY - please talking about ME not anyone else - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - I had to deal with MY insides so I got some professional HELP with MY childhood issues and then only by God's grace I joined 12 step groups fir tons of other issues and I no longer have to suck on death sticks or suckers to deal with ME - I have made peace with God and MEcongrats on almost 50 DAYS of FREEDOM - WAY TO GO  

0 Kudos
green1611

It will vanish...for sure. 

may be try to avoid nic gum !

Best Regards

Subhash

JACKIE1-25-15

I chewed gum, kept tooth pics hand and sucked on cut up straws or kept a mint under my tongue. It gets better in time.