cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

17 days without a cigarette, but food has filled my void. How to stop that?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to not eat all day long .

Tags (1)
9 Replies
jonimarie

Hurray for 17 DOF

Winter is tough, as do not know where you live, outdoor walking etc is not as easy

We all tend to overeat in the winter and when I first quit I also filled that void with food.

I did not beat myself up about it as my goal was to stay quit. Luckily for me as I became more accustomed to not smoking I also left behind the bad eating habit I picked up.

It is about what ever it takes to occupy you mind onto to something other than smoking.

Some doodle, puzzles, knitting etc

Keep up the good work

You can always take the weight off!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Kudos on your 17 days!  I found strong plain green tea helped to curb my appetite.  Also, a sports bottle full of water with one of those nipples on it helped too.  I think sucking is a primal need and that gives you something to suck on and helps fill that empty place in your stomach.

0 Kudos

Eat all the fresh. Vegetables and fruits you want!

0 Kudos
Snoofy83

I'm 43 days quit, it's only in the last week that I've reined in my eating honestly, I did put on a lot of weight, I also had a medical procedure so was on bedrest for a couple weeks prior to and a month after, really not the time to want to constantly stuff your face! lol

for food replacement (still in the food category but not as bad as it could have been), I did dolce de leche suckers because they tasted more "filling", also the hichews were really awesome and hit the spot, I put on about 7 lbs since quiting but I've already dropped 2 lbs of that 7 so I wouldn't stress it too much, do what you need to do to get through this phase!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Big congrats on 17 days smoke free.   We all know we should eat fruits and veggies, but do the best you can right now.  Be kind to yourself.

Barb

Jennifer-Quit

I didn't worry too much in the beginning about my weight.  My focus was on quitting smoking.  After I felt more comfortable with not smoking, then I tackled the extra weight.  Try to find healthy options to snack on.

And Big Congrats to you on 17 days!

maryfreecig

Get exercise. Fill your fridge and cupboards with plenty of healthy options of food you like or love to eat.

There are lots of healthy options that I love, love, love. For example, I love celery with blue cheese dressing. The celery has almost no calories, the blue cheese 150. I like watermelon and fortunately it is low in calories. Pickles ( not the sweet kind) have zero calories. I love radishes. I don't buy fruits and veggies that I don't like--instead I try to eat something I really do like. 

Eat your favorite healthy stuff  first, when that gets old, have a small treat, sucker candy. 

Try new activities. Spend time at Ex!!!

Congratulations on your 17 days--19 now? And welcome to Ex.

0 Kudos
Kdot1st

I'm on day 2 & I've been eating a lot too. I have grapes, not so bad, Junior Mints, but I ate 2 boxes in 2 days so they're gone. Also Snyder's Honey  Mustard  Pieces. A few chili cheese fritos but they gave me heartburn so no more. Oh & some hot fries. 

Not good because I'm already very fluffy. I've never been able to stick to a diet very long. Tried logging my food but that dropped off after about a week.

I cannot eat anything hard due to dental problems so carrots, apples & nuts are a no go. 

I'm mostly bedridden & cannot stand more than 4 or 5 minutes due to pain & neuropathy. 

So I try to limit water intake to 2 bottles a day because of overactive bladder & blood pressure medications make going to the bathroom very difficult. 

I have high cholesterol & prediabetes so weight gain is not preferred. 

Also have allergic & activity induced asthma & get bronchitis at last twice a year. I wheeze pretty much all the time & am short of breath going to the car. 

Struggling as to which is worse to my health, smoking or snacking.....

A bit of a conundrum here 

But I have made it almost through day 2

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Big congrats on your 2 days.  Keep moving forward.

Barb

0 Kudos