cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Julie1960

How can I help someone

I'm new at this and would hate to say or give wrong advise.  Cause I am learning myself.

8 Replies
maryfreecig

You can tell your own story. That you are staying smober no matter what, that you've done it one day at a time. 

YoungAtHeart

You can always cheer on another newbie, celebrate a posted milestone, encourage someone who is having a rough time.

You will be an elder before you know it and will be able to share from your experience.  If you have found something that has worked to help you handle stress, or a crave, you might also pass it along to someone experiencing the same thing.

Lots of ways to get involved here!

Mysticcat

As long as your relies/comments come from a place of good/love/kindness you’ll do fine. People want to feel as if they are heard and cared about. That they matter. 

There are so many different approaches to quitting and the needs of people. It’s difficult to know what’s the exact right thing to say, just  being there for someone is the most important thing in my view point. Sharing your experiences, triumphs and failures is a great way to connect with others. 
Sometimes it’s hard for new quitters to understand to that although they don’t get replies they want to hear(especially from elders) they get replies because people care. I always said to newbies on my old site. If elders didn’t care they would have not replied and just scrolled by. 

sweetplt

Hi Julie...you can just tell someone you are here to help encourage them...and tell your story ... your hurts ... your truths, etc., the most important thing sometimes all anyone wants is a simple hello...and keep the quit etc., ...I think you just asking this questions makes me know you will be a great help to anyone here at Ex’s...Happy Sunday evening...~ Colleen 405 DOF 

Giulia

But you already have, you see.  Because by your question you've made us think about about how we give support ourselves.  The more experience you have on the journey, the more you will be able to give good advice.  Meanwhile you help people simply by encouraging them to continue on, to fight for freedom, to do the best they can.  Support is a two-way street.  When you encourage someone else, your own words echo back at you.  It's a form of positive self talk.  I always find it easier to encourage someone else and offer words of wisdm gained from own experience, but to heed my OWN words - much harder.  But they really do echo back and reverberate in your head.  And that's a good thing.  And as others have said above me - telling YOUR story may help someone else on their journey.  Expressing your fears and hopes, successes and failures may enable someone else to identify and know that they are not alone in their thinking.  

MarilynH

You are helping already Julie by being here and by telling your story and reaching out to all of us thank you......

Mandolinrain

Well everyone said already what I would have told you. Just being here sharing your story is helpful. I think its very considerate of you to think of others. You stick close to us and well will all help each other. No matter how many years anyone of us has under our belt 'quit' we still have to be vigilant and protect it at all costs. Staying active here does that for me and helps others in return.

0 Kudos
green1611

You can advise what you felt correct on why to quit, how to quit etc.Empathise with people who are on the border of quitting, just need some hand holding. 

(not sympathise...no one needs sympathy in this journey, I assume).

All the best