cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DavesTime

Juicin' It

It's amazing how quitting smoking leads one to make other healthy changes in one's life!

For the past few years my employer has participated in an incentive program to promote employee wellness.  It consists of options in the areas of exercise, healthy eating, financial and spiritual wholeness, and so forth.  For each activity or goal that is met points are awarded.  Once the employee reaches a certain amount of points he/she get a reduction in the employee health insurance for the coming year.  In the past years I have met the first point goal level and received the insurance reduction, but I only tried to earn enough points to reach that first level (and, despite the strong encouragement to live a tobacco-free lifestyle, I never tried hard to quit).  This past year, after I quit, I was much more intentional about exercising and pursuing other health-enhancing activities.  And....because I accrued an additional two levels of points, I earned a $100 gift card to Amazon.  I figured the best way to use that gift card was to get something health-related.  So I ordered a juicing machine and this afternoon I made my very first juice concoction.  Here it is!

2019-11-21 20.25.13.jpg

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I am not sure I could EVER drink anything that color - but more power to you!!!

I think a lot of us started to think (and act) in healthier ways when we quit...and it's just another added BONUS to quitting.  Glad you are working on that, too!

(still wouldn't want to drink anything GREEN  )

Congratulations on your quit.  It's lookin' GOOD on you!

Nancy

DavesTime

Is this a better color?  Today's experiment: one carrot, one orange, one apple, and a half-inch piece of ginger. 

2019-11-22 16.40.32_alt.jpg

0 Kudos
sweetplt

How did it taste Dave...DavesTime ? I so agree ... when one quits smoking...it’s almost like a switch goes “on” to get even more healthier...Happy Friday...enjoy the juice machine...~ Colleen 354 DOF 

DavesTime

Let's just say that the recipe needs a little adjustment.  It was a first-time experiment.  As I made it, it consisted of one cucumber, four stalks of celery, two apples, one cup of spinach, and four leaves of romaine lettuce.  Really healthy, but I will alter it a bit.  🙂

YoungAtHeart

ALWAYS add banana....you can even freeze them to keep them around!!  Will always give it a bit of sweetening.   I would also always add blueberries, or avocado - both rich in good stuff!

Barbscloud

I do bananas, strawberries, blue/raspberries, apple, celery, carrots, and whatever green is leftover (lettuce, etc.).  I like to do the fruit and veggies together now.    It actually tastes pretty good.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on your achievement.  You are living beyond the quit.  Ain't life grand without a stinkin sickerette in hand.  Kudos to you and your employer. 

Barbscloud

That's great.   I juice, but nothing that color

Barb

YoungAtHeart

0 Kudos