cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SimplySheri

Just Sitting Here

I'm sitting here looking at my grandchildren and feeling so incredibly blessed.  We're going to my other grandchild's birthday party later today.  I'm healthy enough to carry the baby, put car seats in, go shopping, play with them...all the things some people never think twice about.

But I do.  Because every smoker and ex-smoker knows the possibilities of health related illnesses that come from smoking.  We hold our breathe, praying that it never happens to us.  But so many around me have passed away, have gotten that diagnosis, have struggled to simply get up in the mornings.

And yet you smoke.  And yet she smokes.  And yet they smoke.  This damned addiction wins, time after time.  Because it lies and masks our very fears with a chemically induced stupor that we take as 'relaxation'. 

I don't know what else I can do but to come here and post words of encouragement, words of hope...and sometimes even words of despair.  Please, please, quit smoking now!!  Yes, you may already have an illness.  Yes, you may already have that diagnosis.  But by quitting, you are no longer participating in damaging yourself.  You may even feel better.  You may even begin a healing process.

I'm blessed right now.  Who knows what tomorrow brings?  But whatever it does bring, I will face it smoke free.  And I will know that I did the best I could with what I had at the time. 

Just had to get that out.  I know you may not be ready to quit right now...it doesn't make you a bad person.  But maybe this gives you something to think about  

Much love to each and every one of you!!

6 Replies
AnnetteMM

That's a strong woman declaring a strong message right there! You are blessed and we are blessed to have you.

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Same, Annette . Thank you.

sweetplt

Sheri SimplySheri Enjoy the day with your grandkids...how wonderful to have a grandma like you...Happy Saturday...~ Colleen 349 DOF ~

0 Kudos
Loretta39410

I am on my 9th day smoke free..

I am 61 started smoking at 16 then quit in my 30's for 4 1/2 years. Then i went back to smoking. I was told i have the start of copd and if i quit it would slow the progression down. I have a beautiful granddaughter she will be 1 Nov 27th. My Grandkids are the reason i quit i want to be here for them as The long as the good Lord allows.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Enjoy those grandbabies  Its the best feeling in the world knowing they will NEVER be around a smoking Nana

0 Kudos
Loretta39410

They won't be I will beat that nasty habit.