cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cousin-Itt

What Do You Think

A smoking acquaintance came up to me and wanted to know how I quit smoking and he heard theirst week is the hardest  I informed him he should pick a date 2 or no more then 3 weeks down the road. During this time learn as much as he can about quitting.  Told him to decide how to quit Cold Turkey or the use of NRT and if using NRT he should talk to his doctor. I mentioned  Allen Carr's book and different websites and how being in a community of ex smokers  help.

Now comes my problem He asked me if that's the way I quit and if I used NRT and how hard was the first week.

I had to say no that was not the way I quit, I don't know if you call being in a induced comma on a ventilator 4 out of the first 7 days  is a NRT  the first 2 weeks of my quit I was in a hospital.

I felt bad as I really couldn't answer his question The only thing I really know is I craved like anyone else when I got home from the hospital.

What could I have done differently   I've been asked if I quit Cold Turkey or used NRT don' know what to tell them 

What do you think

8 Replies
WhispersQSMB

Wow, a friend of mine was in a induced comma from severe acute pancreatitis for 32 days and had craving for a cigg after he left the hospital and smoked. I would say to the acquaintance , everyone's quit is different if you didnt want to get into it with him.

abbynormal42

Your quit is unique, for sure. But technically I'd say you quit cold turkey. You didn't have any nicotine going into your system while you were in that coma. So your body detoxed the same way a person who actively quits cold turkey would. You just didn't feel the effects while you were unconscious.

You could always share with your acquaintance the experiences you've read about on quit forums like this one. I'm sure you have absorbed enough from all of us to be able to give someone insight into quitting cold turkey versus using NRT.

As WhispersQSMB‌ said above, everyone's quit is different. That's really all we can definitively tell a person who is thinking of or in the process of quitting. Some people quit successfully with the help of NRT. Some struggle with using NRT. Some use NRT properly. Some don't. Some become addicted to NRT. Some quit cold turkey easily. Some struggle and have to hold on by their fingernails. Some only struggle for the first few weeks. Some struggle for years. It varies so much from person to person.

The one universal truth, I'd say, is that a successful quit is always achieved by adhering to the concept of NOPE one day at a time.

Sorry for the long and rambling answer!

avian3

You didn't do anything wrong. The first thing I would tell people IF they ever asked me was every quit is different and we all respond different ways. What worked for me, cold turkey, was because I am one that will obsess about the  anticipation until I have a panic attack. SO for me it was take the plunge immediately. For others, preparing is the way to. to go and NRT's for others. All you can do is suggest different ways to quit.

Jennifer-Quit

I think there is no wrong way to quit - except to quit and keep smoking - 

Barbscloud

I agree with Jennifer.  People have been successful cold turkey or using an aid.  What works for you.  I would say you did cold turkey even though it may not have been by choice.

Barb

ClearColors

~ Know, you did all the right things for this prospective quitter. ~

You wrote, "I've been asked if I quit Cold Turkey or used NRT ."  IMHO you  initially quit a third way. You did not initially choose to quit!  It was chosen for you  and it was cold turkey, until you woke up from the comma. When you woke up you chose to remain quit, with an nrt or cold turkey, or not be quit.  Glad you chose to stay quit.

~~

But, WOW I would not recommend how you initially quit.. YIKES!!!

Cousin ITT face it, you're just an anomaly,  all the way around.  And we are glad you are around, kicking and quit!

Amen..

Keep on Truckin'

blessings,

Nancy

sweetplt

If you are quit, you are quit...you tell the truth...You worked hard for this quit...no matter how you got there...~ Colleen 341 DOF ~

Grammax6

I'm going with 'scared straight'! Pretty powerful motivator. We all very happy you pulled through 🙂