cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Scare1971

When will it end???

Hello I am new to EX.... I have been a smoker on and off since I was 13, now 48. I have quit once for 2 years then typical me when stress is overwhelming I picked the habit back up. I have recently found out I have heart disease and just had 4 stents placed almost 3 weeks ago. I was terrified!! That was it I was done!! Yes I quit for 20 days....What happens today...WORK Stress is the devil for me, I let it stress me till all I think I have to help is smoking. So yes I started back up, all I had worked so hard for down the drain. I was on Chantix for a bit, but the craziness of that drug was too much for me. I do hear maybe just taking a half dose is much better, but I dont know. Im thankful to have found this support group and to learn how all you wonderful people have kicked this horrible habit!! 

12 Replies
AnnetteMM

Fear does not work. Willpower does not work.

You must be WILLING to live free from nicotine. And you must see hope at the end of the struggle. Because it does end.

Did smoking ease your stress?

Have you read Alan Carr's book about addiction?

It is totally doable.

0 Kudos
Scare1971

I just downloaded it to my kindle I’m excited and curious to see what its all about!! 

AnnetteMM

Excellent

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Scare1971 

I am glad you found our site...Everyone is different with their quit journey except we can all make a Choice to stop the smoking.  For me...I read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and prepared for my quit take like no other...I read the blogs here and tried to leave no stone unturned...I threw away all smoking paraphernalia before my quit date...and decided at that moment I would do any healthy means for stress, boredom, trigger, and craves...then smoke...When I say, Journey, it is so much more than quitting...it it realizing I smoked through everything in life and I now had to learn other coping techniques...At 340 Days quit...I am doing it...and I can give you some of my stress, but why? We all have it...and smoking never helped it out, we just believed it did...Keep close to us...work the program...encourage others to quit and get help with your quit...You can do this...Happy Friday...~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
Scare1971

I think maybe one of my biggest problems was I didn’t make a plan...I smoked  my last cig the morning of my heart cath, I was even more determined after finding out I was getting 4 stents with a scarey thought they weren’t sure they wasn’t going to have to do a bypass. But time goes by and I don’t have an answer or  an excuse for why I took that drag....put maybe having a quit date would have turned out better for me

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. You learn to deal with stress the same as quitting: one day at a time. Hoping that stress won't happen can be replaced with a willingness to learn new strategies. The stress is not going to go away for good, but you can get better. 

Ex will be here for you 365. And venting here about what is bugging you rather than smoke is perfectly acceptable.  Keep coming back--blog, read, learn, comment. This is now your Ex. 

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/08/12/life-can-and-will-kick-us-in-the-teeth 

Dopamine - the Double Edged Blade 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... 

Scare1971

Yes Thanks to everyone who has replied and gave such good advice. I definitely want to check out the blogs, I love to write...

0 Kudos
avian3

Smoking only increases stress and damage to so many parts of your body. Next time you plan to light up, tell yourself "NO, I'll be damned if I am going to do any more damage. I want to be healthy and live a long life!"  Start the healing immediately. You will be so happy you did.

0 Kudos
Scare1971

0 Kudos