cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Taymell7801

I just started taking chantix yesterday! Ive smoked everyday for about 15 years! Any tips on how to put a good habit, in place of my just because im bored to go smoke a ciggerate habit?

Help on ways to put a good habit, instead of being bored and wanting to go smoke a cigarette!! The chantix is already after just two days, have taken a lot of my cravings away!! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies

choose something you love to do.

Taymell7801

Thank you so much for your comment! I need all the advice I can get!!! And I will absolutely try your suggestion! Have a great day!! 

0 Kudos

Self talk is your greatest ally. When you think of vaping/smoking say "I don't do that anymore."

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  Here is a link of things to do 101 Things to Do Instead of SmokeCraving Buster Technique

Thovis

Chantix works very well.  Be sure to pay attention to every cigarette.  In about 5 days you will notice the cigarette is not giving you any benefit.  You will also notice that it starts to taste nasty.  (this is actually how they really taste, we just don't know it)  Like burnt rubber.  Take chantix for at least 3 months.  You will still have some cravings, but nothing like cold turkey.  I recommend doing 4 months.  You will have vivid dreams.  Keep in mind you can actually control them.  Make them entertaining and don't give in to the idea that somehow a scary dream is worse than smoking.  Many people do this.  Always eat before you take it and drink a full cup of water.  

I'm on my second go with chantix.  I quit for 13 months several years ago.  Like a dummy I went back and here I am again.  I'm on day 44 of my quit.  I know chantix very well.  If you have any questions, message me.  It works very well.  You just have to give it some help once in a while.  

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.   You got excellent information from Thovis   I tried it once, but unfortunately had to quit.  During the time up to your quit date, read everything you can on this site and educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  Knowing what your experiencing is normal and what to expect on this journey is a great help.  Create a quit plan if you haven't already.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX   The Chantix will help a lot, but don't forget you still have to do the work.   We're here to support you, so just reach out if you need help.

Barb

elvan

You've gotten some great advice, remember that this is an addiction and not just a habit.  DO reward yourself with music and things you like to do, also try to fit in exercise, it helps your body to release dopamine and makes you feel really good.  Hang in there, stay close to the site, and remember that it really does get easier.

Ellen