cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redhead101

About NRT

Ok how long do I have need to be on a patch never did take the 21 mg but a couple times but did affect my heart rate so I went to the 14 mg okay I really take those when I have to would like to take the edge off so what should I really do should I keep taking the patch every day even if I don't hand it Edge or what any suggestions why I'm asking cuz I went like two days with one patch I have episodes this morning where was really want a cigarette really bad,,so what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoungAtHeart

There are two parts to this addiction.  There is the physical (nicotine) and the psychological (all those triggers and associations you built up over the time you smoked). The nicotine is out of your body in about three days (as long as you don't reintroduce it), then it's a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to life without it.  It affects mood, digestion, brain function, nerves, etc. 

The idea behind the patch is that you wear it (all the time) and get a steady dose of nicotine to reduce the physical cravings and your body's adjustment while you deal with the psychological aspects - learning to deal with the morning routine, stress, sadness, boredom, hunger, sleepiness.  You are doing yourself a disservice by taking the patch on and off - it takes a bit for it to build up in your system and give you relief from the physical cravings for the drug.

You have two choices here - either cold turkey (we call it Smart Turkey) where you just leave it off - period - and deal with the physical cravings for three days, or leave it on while you learn to deal with the other aspects. 

I hope this answers your question?

Nancy

0 Kudos
Redhead101

Thank you I been quit since  sept 25 ,,was wondering  if I was doing  the right thing use the pach  like it says to or just use it when I get on edge..

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I use it, but take it off overnight because of wild dreams.  But you are supposed to wear it all day if you put it on.  They make gum and lozenges for quick craving control.  

0 Kudos