Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Exvape

In my opinion this means NO ecigs are safe

0 Kudos
6 Replies
intervention

No one says that vaping is safe. The overwhelming science says it is 95-99% safer than smoking. Not perfect, but life-saving for smokers who can't quit using other means.

0 Kudos
Exvape

I vaped compulsively and chronically all the time thinking they were way safer —-I just don’t buy that thinking anymore.

in my opinion they are poison.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/30/death-factory-worker-first-britain-linked-vaping/

I think the jury is still out.

i hope they find out that they are way safer....but for me, a person who found it super hard to to quit, I am beyond grateful that I am no longer inhaling ecigs.

i hope I never give another dollar to any nicotine delivery system - combustible or electronic or medicinal.

0 Kudos
intervention

I am glad that you have been able to quit vaping and (presumably) smoking.  But we still have 40 million smokers in the USA, and the overwhelming science says that vaping really, really is 95% safer and can help people quit what we know for sure can kill them. Whatever works, right?

0 Kudos
Exvape

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

i think that 95% statistic is a moving target...I am no expert....I just think that the damage to lungs is not fully known yet.   I’m sure you know much more about this than me as your credentials are quite impressive, but my gut response is people should quit cold turkey and use support like this site to stay quit.  I know many VERY addicted people who have quit cold turkey —-and I think if they can quit (I’m talking about major chain smokers) then anyone can quit if they are willing to make the decision. Of course I know it is immensely difficult and I am not trivializing the effort involved but I don’t think vaping is a good alternative. I may be wrong—-it won’t be the ist or last time that I may be wrong- but I don’t think anyone should vape.  So I’m just going to keep doing my daily pledge and stay away from any nicotine delivery method. I thank my higher power for the strength to have gotten thru the last 20 days including today vape and smoke and NRT free.

That being said - let’s agree to disagree.

0 Kudos
intervention

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. 

I tried Chantix twice and it did not work. That doesn't stop me from recommending it to others because the research shows that it can work quite well for many people. Gotta go with the science.

Same with vaping.  Clearly abstinence is best, and what you are doing is better than what I am doing. But the reality is that a billion people will still die from smoking in this century, and we can put a dent in that number with vaping for those who can't seem to quit any other way. Vaping is harm reduction, not harm elimination. Vaping is not good for you, just a helluva lot better than smoking. 

Think of it this way: if someone you love chooses smoking or vaping you would want them to choose vaping, wouldn't you?

0 Kudos
Exvape

Someone I love is currently vaping Juuls having switched from cigarettes ...last week she had a seizure ...they did a brain scan and they are not sure what caused it.....recently there was an article implicating Juuling with seizures...so I can’t agree that vaping is the lesser evil...I don’t trust the 95% safer statistic. 

As you know it’s very hard to change another persons mind.

i believe people can quit. I believe people can overcome the shackles of nicotine addiction. 

I don’t want to discuss what people should or shouldn’t do.

but in my opinion smoking and vaping are equally bad....I don’t agree that vaping is 95% safer.  

I also would prefer to end the debate.

so lets agree to disagree.

best of luck to you.

Exvape

0 Kudos