21 Replies
moody_9-18-13

Roasted Cabbage - INSANELY delicious, easy, inexpensive, healthy, good roughage

1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp bacon bits
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
1 Medium Head of Cabbage
Preheat the oven (or the grill) to 425 degrees.

Mix the olive oil, bacon bits, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to make the marinade.

Prepare the cabbage. Rinse it under water and remove any yucky loose leaves.

Cut the head in half on the core. Then cut the halves in half again to make quarters.

Lay each wedge on a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap it up in. Spoon about 2 tbsp of the marinade on top making sure to get it in all the nooks and crannies.

Wrap each wedge and cook 25-30 minutes. I say 25-30 because they will continue to cook once you take them out and I prefer cabbage crispier than some people. So I let them sit for a little while after taking them out of the oven around the 25 minute mark. However, some like to cook them up to an hour for softer cabbage. The wedges reheat wonderfully in the oven or the microwave!

0 Kudos
candylance

Asparagus Fritatta

1 bunch fresh asparagus

l 1/2 c. fresh mushrooms sliced'

1 c. onions diced

8 eggs beaten

Saute asparagus(cut in 1 inch pieces), onion and mushrooms in 1 TBsp. olive oil.

When asparagus turns color and onions are opaque, add beaten eggs.

Cook on top of stove for about 3 minutes, then place under broiler until light brown.

I cut in 4 pieces and have 1 each for dinner, then 2 leftover to be warmed in microwave for leftovers in 2 nights. Hope I explained this well enough. Similar to an omelet but not flipped. You can also use spinach or veggie of your choice. We just love fresh asparagus.

0 Kudos
moody_9-18-13

One of the original members, wendyperez added this- She is no longer a member of EX, but I wanted to make sure everyone saw this healthy, delicious drink.

1 cup Chobani non-fat plain yogurt

1/2 cup fresh strawberries

1/4 cup fresh blueberries

1 banana

4 ice cubes

Combine everything in a blender and drink away. If you need more fiber in your diet, add a Tablespoon or two of wheat germ.

Total calories: 290; Protein: 25 g; Carbohydrates: 47 g; Fat 0 g.

0 Kudos

Maybe some flax seed would work well in the drink for those with cardiac or other issues needing more Omega-3

candylance

We have grilled cheese and soup on Mondays. I no longer use real butter but use Country Crock and they're just as good. Also I'm foregoing the soup but i guess i should forego the sandwich and eat the soup. Progresso soups(you have to check) just have 100 calories and I used them on Weight Watchers. That didn't work either. I must have the slowest metabolism around. Well, writing these things down helps make sense of what you're doing.

0 Kudos
moody_9-18-13

Candy, can you write this in the regular feed? We're reserving this section for recipes only. 🙂 BTW, Progesso soups are 100 calories per serving. One can says it's two servings. So, if you eat the whole can, double to 200. Read the fine print....and the sodium content. Gotta run, work is calling!

0 Kudos
ShawnP

Caramel Apple Salad

Ingredients

• 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip FREE
    1 box sugar free instant Butter Scotch Pudding mix
    14 oz. can pineapple tidbits in juice
    4 large Red Delicious or Fuji Apples (or more)
    4 large Granny Smith Apples (or more)
  •   

Directions

Combine pudding mix and pineapple (with juice) in large bowl. Mix well and set aside. Dice apples into small pieces and combine with pudding mixture. Fold in Cool Whip FREE till well mixed. Chill and serve.  

** I like to make this with as many apples as I can put into the pudding mixture and still have the apples pieces fairly well coated ... lots more apple than creamy mixture ... almost like a dressing.   

** This is also delicious made with Sugar Free Vanilla pudding. It doesn't have the same 'caramel apple' flavor, but it is incredibly yummy!  

Number of Servings: 16 

Nutritional Info 

• Servings Per Recipe: 16
  •    
  • Amount Per Serving
  •    
  • Calories: 90.7
  •   

• Total Fat: 0.4 g
  •    
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  •    
  • Sodium: 27.8 mg
  •    
  • Total Carbs: 20.1 g
  •    
  • Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
  •    
  • Protein: 0.2 g
  •   
0 Kudos
ShawnP

Ingredients

Directions

Mix the Cool Whip and peanut butter together. Spoon into 12 lined cupcake tins. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and freeze. Each cup in Weight Watchers was worth 1 point. Sweet treat that satisfies that craving. I like it without the syrup and that saves a couple calories. 

• 1 small tub Cool Whip Free, thawed
    3 Tlbs Peanut Butter (creamy or chunky)
    Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, Sugar Free
  •   
   Nutritional Info
  Servings Per Recipe: 12
  Amount Per Serving
  Calories: 44.4
  Total Fat: 2.0 g
  Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  Sodium: 32.4 mg
  Total Carbs: 5.5 g
  Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
  Protein: 1.0 g
0 Kudos
ShawnP

Berry Cobbler

Introduction

This is a cake-type cobbler. You can use any fruit, fresh or frozen. My favorites are peaches, berries, and-- on the rare occasions when I can find them-- sour cherries. This is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe, but I've made so many changes, about all that's left is part of the technique.

Minutes to Prepare:    5

Minutes to Cook:    35

Number of Servings:    1

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (or other fruit)
    1 to 1 1/2 tsp sugar

Butter-flavored cooking spray
    1/2 T light butter, such as Land-o-Lakes butter w/Canola oil

2 T whole grain flour (I use white whole wheat)
    1 1/2 T Splenda (granulated, not from packets)
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    2 T lowfat milk

Dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, or ginger
  •   

See an Asian Pot Roast Recipe   

Directions

Makes one serving 

Mix fruit and sugar in a small bowl and set aside to let the sugar draw out the juices. (If you don't see juice in the bottom after a few minutes, mash a little bit of the fruit and mix again.) 

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-oz oven-proof baking cup with cooking spray and place the butter in the dish. Heat the dish in the oven until the butter is bubbly.  

Mix flour, Splenda, baking powder, milk, and spice together in a small bowl just until blended. Spread the mixture into the HOT baking dish. Place the fruit in the center of the batter, leaving a rim of batter all around the edges. 

Bake 20-40 minutes until batter is golden brown around the edges and center looks set. (Baking time will vary a LOT depending on the shape of the dish and the type of fruit you use.) Serve warm, with a drizzle of cream or a little vanilla yogurt. 

Notes:  

--Heating the dish with the butter is what "makes" this recipe. It creates a crispy-chewy crust that tastes much richer than it is. 

--I usually make this with buttermilk because I have it on hand. When made with buttermilk, use baking soda instead of baking powder. 

-- I use white whole wheat flour, made by King Arthur or Red Mill. 

-- Some good combinations of fruit and spices are: 
peaches with fresh nutmeg and/or a drop of almond extract; blueberries with ginger and/or lime or lemon zest; cherries with ginger and/or almond extract; rhubarb with brown sugar instead of granulated 

Number of Servings: 1

Nutritional Info 

• Servings Per Recipe: 1
  •    
  • Amount Per Serving
  •    
  • Calories: 163.1
  •   

• Total Fat: 4.7 g
  •    
  • Cholesterol: 8.6 mg
  •