cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

desiree465

Smoking cessation project

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've been on here. The dental hygiene program is crazy stressful and takes up all my time. But through it all I have never wavered on my quit. There would be no way I could smoke while doing this job that's for sure. So anyway I'm working on my smoking cessation project and one of my slides is going to address the social pit falls of smoking. I'm going to list a few things that smokers may feel bad about socially because they smoke. So smelling bad, making others cough will be on there. But I thought I'd ask you guys what your personal thoughts were on it. Did you get anxious being around people after you smoked? How did other people react to you if they smelled the smoke. Feel free to chime in and let me know. This website is part of my slide show because out of everything I tried this was the only thing that worked for me. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoungAtHeart

The shame of having to go outside when everyone is inside socializing.

Missing out on the conversation to get outside for a fix.

Not going to events because you don't know how/where you will be able to smoke.

elvan

I HATED having to leave social situations to go smoke and I always tried to get as far away as possible because of the smell.  I was anxious about people smelling it but I was also anxious about thinking I needed a smoke.  Man, I am so glad that is in the past.  I will NEVER regret quitting but I will always regret starting.

So good to hear from you, sounds like you are doing great.  Congratulations.

Ellen

Sootie

In early childhood learning centers there were two BIG things......

1. Small children are boldly honest. If you smell....you smell and they will tell you. PLUS.....happily, we are making progress teaching our children that smoking is bad. So the school age children will ask, "Do you smoke?" in the same tone as "Do you kill people?" Embarrassing.

2. There is a lot of research out there about the particles that cling to your clothes from smoking. Holding small babies close to you was one of the things mentioned in the research. You don't want parents saying....I don't want her holding my baby....she smokes.

There is SO SO SO much I am happy about in relation to quitting. Life is just so much improved. Good to see you.